Garden bargains

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pawty
KG Regular

Just noticed that Aldi have one of their garden events on 25th February. I always keep an eye out for these as you can get some absolute bargains. The gloves are really good and poly/fleece/net tunnels for £3.99!

Paula
Pa Snip
KG Regular

A stock of decent gloves is always useful. No matter how good the alleged quality is we can make holes in them, or they come unstitched, in no time

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Might have to stock up on gloves again. Partner is still using just the right hand glove and leaving it somewhere around the garden only to turn up among plants or in the compost several months later and leaving me with numerous left hand gloves. Think I'll have to find a better hiding place for the new ones.

Not been to Aldi for a while thanks for the tip off.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PP
That sounds like a case of left hand not knowing ......................................................where right hand is :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:The gloves are really good and poly/fleece/net tunnels for £3.99!

Time to jump on a tram down to my local aldi (well, on Thursday)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
robo
KG Regular

I find builders merchants t h e best place for gloves, my mate who is self employed buys packs of ten they have black palms and red backs they are the best I've come across
dan3008
KG Regular

I find welders gloves work well :)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Monika
KG Regular

I buy black heavy duty household gloves at a bigger size than fits my hand and always wear stretchy "woolly" gloves inside (£1.99 from the local market). Keeping a supply of the "woolly" gloves in my pockets, I can change them whenever the used ones get damp and sweaty. For lighter gardening work, I buy boxes of 100 disposable gloves, a big size for wearing with "woolly" gloves inside and normal size for fiddly work like taking cuttings or sowing seeds.
Westi
KG Regular

Aldi still being built near me so unfortunately I won't be able to take advantage just yet! Picked up some pretty good gloves & very cheap seeds in InExcess, won't bother with the Lidl tunnels again though as the plastic just disintegrates!

Looking forward to the new development, Aldi, Pound Shop, Sports Direct & a few others cheapies all going in - best part though is I will walk to it through Mudeford Woods. Second best stress buster next to lottie! Damn - probably means I'll be so relaxed I'll spend more! :D

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Just had to check where you are Westi, they are doing exactly the same here, Aldi, Sports Direct etc. It's quite a bit further to walk to though and we're hoping it doesn't kill off the existing shops.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi PP

It's taken ages to get any of these shops into Christchurch. They still won't give planing permission to Tesco's or Morrisons's but Lidl got in. (I don't know if it is related but apparently the local Sainsbury's is one of the busiest down South as they service the New Forest & they definitely don't want Tesco's). I expect they thought Lidl's wouldn't influence their customer base but there are some mighty fine cars in the carpark there. :)

The High Street is mainly small independent shops, with a few of the big boys, quite a few charity shops but quality of the stuff in them is very good. It didn't get too affected by the Home Bargains etc sneaking in, but these are located out of town - and off the bus routes & our population is elderly & rely on the buses & also very loyal to what they know and trust.That includes me!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've been to our nearest Wyvale garden centre today as they've sent me some vouchers for a few things I actually need.

I've bought a large water butt kit with stand, connector and child proof lid. The only snag is the tap has been screwed on the inside to prevent damage in transit so I'm going to have to crawl inside it to undo it as my arms aren't long enough to reach in. That was 25%off, then I got two packs of lawn after cut weed and feed the second one half price and some multi purpose compost at 4 for the price of three.
With the vouchers I saved another £15 plus extra points towards future purchases. A good mornings shopping as it's too horrible to do any gardening.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I did a similar thing Sunday, Plumpudding, but i was buying John Innes and saved £25.50, Plus double points.....very pleased... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I saved a small fortune today....I didn't go out !!!

robo
KG Regular

I bought a massive bad of John innes on Sunday I struggled to pick it up a bargain at £5 from the place called the hut it's about three miles from the allotments it's run by volunteers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic