PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN ON CARROT FLY

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Acknowledgements to Michael Baker. KG Sept issue. Page 16. [edited]

Put on your biggest and heaviest boots and walk heel to toe along the line of seedlings when they are about 1 1/2-2in tall and back again.
As expected the seedlings are now lying flat, but the next day they will be standing up straight again. The idea was to to consolidate the soil around the seedlings stopping the fly having access into the soil around the seedlings.
Got to be worth a try.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Shallot Man, i think i will let you try that idea first.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

OH. It is only one row after all. :wink: :wink:
peter
KG Regular

I thought that one on the things thst sttracted carrot fly was thee smell of the foliage, especially if handled?

Seems like a stupid idea with no scientific basis and if done here on the clay would really set them solid, as in no growing room, until they open a crack in the clay.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

peter. Looks like back to the drawing board. :? :?
Elaine
KG Regular

I agree with Peter...the smell of the crushed carrot foliage would bring the little divils in from miles around... :shock:
Happy with my lot
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Elaine wrote:I agree with Peter...the smell of the crushed carrot foliage would bring the little divils in from miles around... :shock:

At that early stage of development ?
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Got to be worth a trail row though. If only to put this idea to bed. :| :|
robo
KG Regular

I planted garlic chives down the side of mine the idea is that the chives maskes the smell of the carrots so as the flies do not find them ive also grown them in a raised bed with scalfold netting over the lot so far it has worked last year I had to throw the lot away they where that badly infested
Motherwoman
KG Regular

One year I tried giving the plants a small 'earth-up' like spuds, can't think where the idea came from now, but I had no carrot fly. I didn't use a resistant variety and didn't have a control line of carrots so I can't say if it was the earth up or just luck. The idea was that by covering the shoulders of the young carrots the flies couldn't get at them, even if they laid eggs they were too high in the soil.

I haven't tried it since as to be honest I'd forgotten about it until this thread came up!

MW
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Motherwoman wrote:One year I tried giving the plants a small 'earth-up' like spuds, can't think where the idea came from now, but I had no carrot fly. I didn't use a resistant variety and didn't have a control line of carrots so I can't say if it was the earth up or just luck. The idea was that by covering the shoulders of the young carrots the flies couldn't get at them, even if they laid eggs they were too high in the soil.

I haven't tried it since as to be honest I'd forgotten about it until this thread came up!

MW

That sounds like an excellent idea.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Motherwoman wrote:One year I tried giving the plants a small 'earth-up' like spuds, can't think where the idea came from now,

I read an article where this was recommended using either soil or grass cuttings, it prevents the fly laying eggs on the top of the carrot. (Something like that)

I often wonder if these recommendations are based on years of experience by someone who passed down the tip, a scientific study or nothing more than a whim.

Well done for sharing that one though ron, I'll try it on my rocket. All my rocket this year has been heavily attacked by flea beetle. :D
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic