Next objective (Updated 20-1-18)

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Had a look around the plot today as I have yet another urge for more raised beds to benefit my daughter when she takes over the plot. The cost is such that I best get it done as she would be unlikely to afford it.

What I was looking for today was the spot where I might dig up some energy.

My plan is to replace some low beds I made in 2012 on this part of the plot

DSC_803002.jpg
DSC_803002.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 5053 times

DSC_803305.jpg
DSC_803305.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 5053 times

DSC_803709.jpg
DSC_803709.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

The objective will be to replace those beds with taller ones to make it more comfortable for her to work.

Given the energy I will make two more beds to match existing ones in that area.
each bed will be 4.8mt x 1.2mt x 600mm
In other words the new beds will equate to two of this one

DSC_063124.jpg
DSC_063124.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

I won't mention the estimated cost because I can imagine the remarks of "at that price buy your veg in the shops"
All power to those who may think it but they will have completely failed to grasp the point.
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

You are lucky pa snip in as much as your daughter will carry on when you move aside neither of my daughter's are the slightest bit interested in our plot , if I told them I had buried the family gold on the plot they might have a dig after they had stopped laughing
Pa Snip
KG Regular

hi robo

I wont be stepping aside as such.
I'll be the equivalent of FBB (flesh blood & bone in this instance) and scattered on the strawberry bed. :roll: :D

Colin2016
KG Regular

"at that price buy your veg in the shops"

If this was applied thinking then the only time some people would leave the house is to go shopping.

Since I have taken up growing my own it has got me out in the fresh air most days of the week.

I have met some great people who have freely given me their advice & plants.

I have had some very tasty fresh food that I would never had got from the shop.

Then there is this wonderful forum & its subscribers.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Colin
Thanks for your input and thoughts, could not agree more.

Damn sure my plot has helped keep me alive since 2015.

There's the sense of satisfaction and achievement when harvesting, there's a certain air of tranquillity that means problems seem to disappear for a while at least and there's a general sense of wellbeing despite any medical prognosis.

Well there is on my plot anyway and you cant put a price on any of that.

IF I get these two beds built it will result in a huge degree of satisfaction.

Colin2016
KG Regular

"There's the sense of satisfaction and achievement when harvesting, there's a certain air of tranquillity that means problems seem to disappear for a while at least and there's a general sense of wellbeing despite any medical prognosis."

You are spot on PA Snip.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

The challenge needs addressing. I was told on Thursday that the two recent sessions of chemo had little to no effect upon the alien, therefore chemo has been cancelled as there is no point in suffering the side effects if there is no benefit. Will probably just make it a little harder to find energy to complete the project.

This morning I was intending to pop round the builders merchants which is half way between home and the plot.
Was intending to order the wood and sharp sand required for the new raised beds. Piddling down with rain so I'll stay indoors and make some more marmalade instead. Probably wouldn't get a delivery before mid week anyway, certainly would not get one today.

Beginning of week I need to order another 7cu mt of bulk loose compost/manure mix as well.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I hope you don't cause a timber shortage, Pa Snip..... :wink: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Now a real challenge would be making raised beds from matchsticks.

Primrose
KG Regular

Completely agree that growing your own isn’t about saving the cost of vegetables. It’s therapeutic and an exercise in hope and anticipation. No matter how bad one growing season might be, there,s always a chance to start again each new spring with renewed enthusiasm and there are always small pleasures to look forward to. Now matter how many years we grow stuff , the first seeds sown every year always represent a new surge of anticipation waiting to see how things will develop. It certainly gives one a reason to get up in the morning to find out what happened overnight,

Keep building Pa! Just pace yourself. Your daughter will have a lot of happy memories on that allotment when it’s her turn take over.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose
thumbs-up small.jpg
thumbs-up small.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 4887 times

Primrose
KG Regular

They say that as you grow older you become more philosophical and I think that's true. I suspect that gardeners over the years perhaps learn from their hobby better than others, to carry the lessons of success and failure into the habits of their own lives with the ups and downs. One day the sun is shining and everything is growing beautifully; the next day it's raining and slugs have eaten all your seedlings. You just sigh, pick yourself up and sow again. Life's just like that !

And to start the day with a cheerful thought, my first two snowdrops are in bloom, along with a few brave primroses. :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And here, it's snowing heavily and gloomy.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Same here OH

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic