Pa Snip Enterprise Log

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

I made Seville orange marmalade on Sunday (like Pa Snip, 1kg oranges to 2kg sugar) and had just enough jars to fill them all. For the first time ever, I soaked the peel in the water and lemon juice overnight before cooking it and found it did help to soften the peel more quickly.
Today I bought some more jars and next weekend, I'll make another batch of marmalade, but this time a mix of grapefruit, orange and lemon.
One of each batch will be kept for the Village Show in September, the remainder eaten or sold at a charity coffee morning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:If the show isn't until September PaSnip, that should give you plenty of time to soak the Chivers label of the chosen jar...i'm not suggesting anything.... :)

Let me tell you the pitfall with your plan OH, there would be no wax round disc under the lid, dead giveaway to the judge.

I've studied every fine detail on how to get that coveted little first place card, no cash prize just a bit of card.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

OH! Very Funny! Pa - transfer the contents? OK - Best not - fair play & all of that!

I never submit anything cooked/made into the lottie show - taste is so subjective! Read I don't do carrot cupcakes with little bunnies on the top & always get the spoon into any jam or pickles before the show! Perhaps Pa could send me his jam if he is not successful in Berkshire!
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Opened a jar for road testing purposes this morning.

Excellent set, one of the best, but far far too sweet. I do question 2kg of sugar to 1 kg of fruit even if seville oranges are bitter.
Mind you this is the same recipe I have always used and its never turned out as sweet as this.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Visited plot on 4/2/17. Picked remainder of Montgomery Brussel Sprouts and dug up the stalks and roots. Dug first swede.
Towards end of last year we had some really nice looking Spring Hero cabbage coming to head. Having been lax in going to plot so far this year they went past their best and are rotting, bit more for the compost heaps

Was surprised at how easy ground was to dig given all the rain we have had over the last couple of weeks.
Could it be that all the composted manure is now paying dividends (rhetorical question)

Now need to get up there and dig plot over but need to fix the leaking carb on the rotavator.
Finding the energy to handle that machine to prepare the ground will be hard enough.

Be even harder if I have to dig the plot using hand fork, even though the ground is now really good to turn.

Prep prep prep.

:D

(Edit PS) Hopefully the Brussels I picked are still hanging on the doorknob inside the shed, which is the last place I remember putting them :lol:

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pa Snip Log 19th Feb

Third day in a row that I have got up the plot. Only short periods on Thurs 16th 2.5 hours and Friday 17th 1.75 hours.
On Saturday 18th 5 hours.
Had assistance on Friday when daughter & family did the raspberry pruning and some weeding.

They also took rotavator for petrol leak repair. Gave very precise directions for where to take it. Got the inevitable phone call saying they couldn't find the repairers workshop.
Arranged a place to meet & they then followed me. No wonder they couldn't find it, gone, workshop empty.

By Saturday afternoon it at last felt as if we have almost caught up. Bit more weeding to do.

For those who remember 1st April last year, I also got the dog agility fences (also known as the pea frames) in place

DSC_990315.jpg
DSC_990315.jpg (104.91 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

DSC_990618.jpg
DSC_990618.jpg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

Looks like someone is feeding the red kites again.

DSC_993445.jpg
DSC_993445.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Great views, I like the Kites for neighbours, we have some up here, but mostly in the Glens
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And another take on the Pa Snip Enterprise..... :)

image_01_png.jpg
image_01_png.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:And another take on the Pa Snip Enterprise..... :)

Run by a Swede ??

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Log update 19th February

Not as warm today as it was suggested it might be.
Spent 3 hours up plot, half of which time was probably spent chatting with those who I had not seen since last year

Only thing I got done today was removed some strawberry plants from tubs and planted some garlic. Two bulbs of Solent White which split down to 40 cloves.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Log date 5/3/17

No idea what to expect when next able to visit plot.
Raining this morning and ground far too wet to work anyway.
Other than to return the repaired rotavator (fuel float bowl replaced) not been near plot since 18/2/17.
Was lucky that the repairers had a float bowl to fit. I first purchased the rotavator back in 1990 and it was a few hundred quid back then, even though only single geared.

Must venture to bottom of garden and see how well (if at all) potatoes are chitting.

Been on antibiotics for last week, nasty stubborn bout of bronchitis.
Hardly been out the door for last fortnight.

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Get well soon Pa, not nice being off colour, I'm still waiting to get my Gall Bladder removed, uncomfortable for the past month.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

SATURDAY 18th March
Unlike many parts of the country it was a nice day, although chilly.
No sign of predicted rain. Decided to get some petrol and do some rotavating.
Minor (read major) snag, Unable to muster strength to pull the starter cord enough to get it going. Compression too great.
Luckily one of the other plotholders got it going and I was able then to sort of control the machine and get around the plot with what strength I currently have.
3 hours was enough and home I came out of the chill wind.
Still got some weedy areas that need attention.

DSC_011201.jpg
DSC_011201.jpg (164.77 KiB) Viewed 3683 times

DSC_011504.jpg
DSC_011504.jpg (116.39 KiB) Viewed 3683 times

DSC_012514.jpg
DSC_012514.jpg (97.57 KiB) Viewed 3683 times

Pa Snip
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:Get well soon Pa, not nice being off colour, I'm still waiting to get my Gall Bladder removed, uncomfortable for the past month.

Thanks Tiger, hope you get sorted soon as well.

Diane
KG Regular

Sorry to hear you've been poorly - hope you get your strength back very soon. I love looking at your pictures...inspires me to go out and dig in my raised bed. It's minuscule compared to your plot - but this cold wind is really off putting. Stay warm.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic