Broccoli and Cauliflower - Help

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Binky
KG Regular

All of my summer broccoli and caulliflowers have come at once. Does anyone have any recipes that will freeze well?

Thanks
Colin_M
KG Regular

You have my sympathies. That's happened to me in the last few years too.

This time I only planted my broccoli in small batches. The fist batch of 10 has arrived in a controlled burst and the next lot are still quite small. I have a further set of seedlings that are only a few weeks old.

I think we've moved from having a glut to having an intermittent supply. However I hate wasting things we've grown ourselves, so prefer it this way.

Other than Caulflower/Broccoli cheese, I can't think of too many recipies for freezing, but am sure others will think of some.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

A few ideas - par boil the broccoli and cauli florets for a few minutes,till still firm, drain well,then pour on a gallon of cheese sauce lol and freeze in bags. take out and finnish cooking in the oven till cauli is tender. Second suggestion
Buy some pickling onions etc and find a recipe to make picallili
Cauli / broccoli and stilton soup is nice, saute some onion add vegetable stock and cauli and broccoli florets cook till tender, blenderise, add a pkt cream of herb soup or chopped herbs and a little cornflour mixed in milk, finally grate in some stilton to taste. delicious.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Onei
KG Regular

Could you perhaps just freeze the vegetables in a bag? Maybe do a test on a small batch to see what they are like when you defrost them.
Children's wooden kitchen toys are great for pretend play.
Beryl
KG Regular

Cauli will keep well in the fridge for about 2 weeks if trimmed of greenery and wrapped in cling film.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic