Beetroot tomato & garlic salad

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I can't possibly eat beetroot everyday so what I have still in the ground is going to last, probably into spring. Can I leave it in the ground ? So far, the beetroot has my only crop that hasn't been subjected to attack though one-or-two of the roots did look a bit gnarly.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

I leave mine in the ground but cover them with fleece but weather here is a bit milder. You can store them in sand I believe but best search it here for the correct technique.

Westi
(Or just wait till one of the guys tells you exactly how) :D
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi wrote:I leave mine in the ground but cover them with fleece but weather here is a bit milder.

The climate here in this part of West-Wales is more to do with wet-and-windy-wind-windy, the particular area I live in has few trees and even though we do have a little tree-cover in this valley it's mainly a windy place rather than cold. During summer we are several degrees cooler than inland, during winter we a are several degrees warmer than inland. Also, an accumulation of housing (Villages, towns and city) give shelter and warms the immediate area.

Just spotted a a dish by Madhur Jaffrey for stewed beetroot with tomatoes and the usual spices, i'll give it a try and report back.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
alan refail
KG Regular

Just had this again tonight - instantly transported back 45 years to Provence.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I always consider how amazing it is that a smell or a taste can give you a flashback so detailed. Sweet peas whilst a delight have been difficult for me because I grew them at a time I was grieving over the demise of a 30 year marriage.

I pulled my first decent beetroots yesterday and cooked them ready for tonights attempt at this salad and I have enough italian parsley to keep a busy restaurant supplied.

Store bought tomatoes though. :(
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

I will try it as soon as my beetroot are reading for picking...they're still too small at the moment. The only problem I have with this vegetable is its rather generous laxative properties if eaten in any quantity!
Last edited by Primrose on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

And a frightening sight in the toilet bowl. :D
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi wrote::D :D :D Shame about the red slipping in!

Westi

:D

Whaaaaat ? I discovered Rioja after being put-off for years by poorly made wines and you call it a shame. :D

Only joking.

Alan, I added a little chopped cucumber this time and I'm going back for apple again. I'm even thinking about a small side pot to test a little mint. I do love mint with parsley.

Erm........ I'm not sure the Rioja works so I'll pull the cork on a white.

:D
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Took this to work today, lovely after marinating overnight & made the tomatoes extra sweet at first bite then the vinegar kicked in, then the garlic. Unfortunately I may have overdone the garlic as everyone that came into the office afterwards made a comment! Maybe best as a home or eaten outdoors dish - Whoops!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic