tomato ketchup

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lez
KG Regular

help please. I have searched for a recipe for tommie ketchup. found loads for sauces has anyone got a tommie ketchup recipe please. thanks to all and good luck.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Lez

Haven't tried this yet but intend to this year given a good crop. I would trust Hugh F-W.
http://www.rivercottage.net/SeasonalRec ... tchup.aspx

If it doesn't grab you, google tomato ketchup recipe and you'll get plenty of choice.
lez
KG Regular

cheers Alan. got that but forgive me as I thought I would ask for some tried and trusted recipes. HFW does talk a load of crape sometimes and not all have the time to pussy about like him. good to know though and experimentation is the key. but you still need a good foundation. cheers mate.
Westi
KG Regular

The Jamie Oliver one is quite good. I only use
red tomatoes though as some how my head can't
get around a ketchup that is not red.

Conditioned by Mr Heinz from birth probably :)

Westi
Westi
Tigger
KG Regular

I made some last year which was pretty good. I'll search out the recipe for you.
MrsL
KG Regular

You won't beat this one from the wonderful Keith Flyod, I've made it or similar (according to what I have in larders) for years. Easy to do, and the best I've tried.

2lbs tomatoes, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
1lb onions, finely chopped
2lbs or so of red peppers, de-seeded and finely chopped
oil for frying
3 oz sugar
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
slat and pepper
1 chilli finely chopped
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp paprika
2 wine glasses vinegar
large pinch lowdered cloves

Fry the three vegetables in oil for about 45 mins until soft; strain through a sieve and put back in pan. Add all other ingredients and cook pover low heat for about 2 hours, stirring from time to time, until thick. Taste and adjust seasoning - add more heat (chilli), sugar, vinegar etc to taste. Put into clean, warm glass bottles and process in hot water bath for 30 minutes or so, leave to cool on wooden board, tighten lids, leave until cold, then label and store in a cool place.

From his Floyd on France book.

Hope that helps. :D
lez
KG Regular

MrsL in your recipe you say "and process in hot water bath for 30 minutes" I haven't a clue what is mean't by this. Please enlighten me. Does it literally mean put it in a hot bath for 30mins?. Thanks for the recipe and I will give it a go.
Tigger, I would most appreciate yyour recipe aswell. I like and prefer tried and trusted recipes as they are usually the better ones. thanks to all and good luck
MrsL
KG Regular

Hot water bath is a way of preserving, like in Kilner jars, etc, for fruit and some veg.
For ketchup:

Get ready on the stove a pan tall enough to hold the bottles/jars you're using; place a folded tea towel or dishcloth in the bottom, to stand the bottles on - this prevents the glass touching the bottom of the pan and being too close to the heat source. Fill the pan half full with water, put in the bottles/jars, and keep filling until the water is up to the shoulder of the bottles. Gently increase the heat underneath, then keep it it at a good simmer for the required time. Continue as above.

Hope this helps, shout if you need more info.

There is also a cold water bath method, and an oven method, but the hot water bath is easiest and most reliable in my experience.
lez
KG Regular

MrsL, thanks for the info. I would be able to use the jam pot thing. you say do not let the bottles touch the metal by using tea towels, is this to keep it of the direct heat and if so could a metal stand (I forget the name) be used?. I am looking forward to my tommies getting ripe and making some ketchup. :)
MrsL
KG Regular

Yes, a metal trivet should be fine - it's just to stop the glass bottles touching the bottom of the pan too close to the heat source.
lez
KG Regular

MrsL thankyou very much for your advice and information. good luck.
Tigger
KG Regular

The one I used last year was adapted from Jamie O's At Home recipe. However, I have made it in various forms - left out the fennel, changed the spices, made a curried version, etc - all of which work.

1 large onion, peeled and chopped.
1/2 bulb fennel, chopped.
1 stick of celery, chopped.
Piece of fresh ginger, aprrox 1 1/2 inches, peeled and chopped.
1/2 a fresh red chilli, finely chopped.
1 bunch fresh basil.
1 teaspoon ground coriander.
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Salt to taste (I don't use salt so left this out).
1 kilo tomatoes, skinned, or 1/2 kilo skinned fresh tomatoes with 1/2 kilo tinned plum or cherry tomatoes.
70g brown sugar.
Olive oil.
Water.

Fry off the onions in the oil under soft but not browned.
Add the veg and spices/seasoning, including the chopped basil stalks but keep back the leaves, the tomatoes and sugar and cook gently for 15 minutes or until softened.
Add the tomatoes and 350ml cold water.
Bring to the boil, then simmer until reduced by half.
Add the basil then finely blend the sauce.
Put it back into a clean pan, add the sugar and adjust seasoning to taste.
Simmer until it is the required consistency then bottle in sterilised bottles.
Seal tightly.
You can then also subject them to the water bath treatment if you wish, as that will preserve them fo a year or more but they will keep for about 6 months if not.
Keep them out of the light and in a cool place.
Once open, keep in the fridge.

If you keep the tomato skins on or use whole spices, you'll need to sieve the sauce after you've blended it - that's why I make it with ground spices.

Obviously if you use yellow, green or orange tomatoes, you get a range of different colour ketchups. Be careful if you decide to mix the varieties and colours - muddy coloured ketchup isn't very appetising!
simonj
KG Regular

A few different takes on ketchup - its not all tomatoes you know!!

The horseradish ketchup kicks ass!!

http://connemaracroft.blogspot.be/2013/ ... rican.html
http://www.irishkitchengarden.com/ <br>
Now with Donkeys!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic