kilner jars

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lez
KG Regular

Chantal
Thanks for the advice I will give it go. I was a little disapointed when they went brown.
cheers now
Lez
Stephen
KG Regular

Maslin Pan - new terminology for me. I would have called that a preserving pan (as Chantal says - jam pan)
Steaming - this could also be done in a pressure cooker, mine has a purpose made trivet in it.
I like the tip on Pound Shops for Kilner Jars (or Le Parfait) - John Lewis is at the expensive end of life and I get through lots, they do about three fills each year, mainly of marmalade and chutney. They only disadvantage of maore jars is finding the space for storage!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
goldilox
KG Regular

Hi All,
There seems to have been quite a lot of discussion about where to buy kilner jars at a reasonable price. Here in France they are readily available, but can be a bit pricey (probably not in comparison to the UK though).

If any of you travel over here on your hols, try and go to the vide greniers which seem to be an important part of most towns and villages throughout the summer months. These are like street markets where people set up tables and sell all their old stuff. I've bought quite a few of my jars there - usually a boxful for about 1 or 2 euros. They only need a good wash and new seals. They're sometimes stashed under the table, so you need to have a good look round.

Just a thought . . . :D
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Lakeland are selling Kilner jars in the latest catelogue. £24.99 for 12 x 500ml or £29.99 for 12 x 1L. Replacement seals for their 2 part lid are £3.99 for 12.
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic