Can I have your ideas for Broccoli please?

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

I think I probably mean Calabrese (the big heads, rather than the smaller sprouting variety).

It's been a good Spring for these on the allotment and I now have 2-3 heads maturing per week with several more still to come. This is getting more than we can eat as a veg side dish.

I'm running out of ideas for cooking it. Ideally I'd like some that can be frozen (not sure if the heads themselves can successully be frozen, without turning to mush once cooked).
Primrose
KG Regular

One of the ways we eat calabrese on its own is to cover it with a cheese sauce sprinkled over with lots of freshly cooked crispy chopped bacon. Eat with warm crusty bread.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Thanks primrose.

Anyone else want to suggest their favourite Broccoli dishes?
Sarah
KG Regular

Mine is a bit similar to Primrose's, but we have it as a side dish, usually with gammon. I've been making it so long, I'm not sure of quantities, but I'll do my best.

One head of brocolli, parboiled and drained, placed in a layer in a shallow dish.

Mix one small tub of half fat creme fraiche with a teaspoon of horseradish sauce, (or mustard if you prefer) and a handful of grated cheddar. Pour over the brocolli and top with breadcrumbs and a little more grated cheese if you like. Bake in a medium oven for around 20-30 minutes, or until bubbling and browned on top.

Hope you like it!
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
Broccoli soup - make with a good chicken stock for the carnivorous version, and add plenty of grated nutmeg for the veggie version.
My other favourite is orecchiette (little ears)past with broccoli.
Quantities of pasta & broccoli to suit number to feed.
Also - a little diced pancetta or streaky bacon (smoked if poss), chilli flakes, finely chopped clove of garlic, grated parmesan.
Cook the pasta according to instructions on pack (if you can't get orecchiette, penne work well).
In a pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the pancetta for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and chilli. Cook for another minute.
Add the broccoli (broken into florets) & fry for a couple of minutes, then add a few tablespoons of water. Cover the pan and allow the broccoli to steam for about 6 mins until just tender, but still slightly crunchy.
Drain the pasta & chuck in the broccoli mix with a little extra olive oil & seasoning. Serve with the grated parmesan on top.
Start to finish, takes about 15 mins and serves as many as you have broccoli or pasta for!
Vivien
Colin_M
KG Regular

Thanks everyone.

Out of these, the soup will probably be the one most suitable for freezing.
Gracie
KG Regular

Hi Colin, we always have loads of broccoli too. I have frozen it just as it is for use later, if you boil a large pan of salted water and blanch the broccoli (cut up into florets) for about one minute, then plunge into cold water to cool quickly , drain well and freeze.
Broccoli soup made with soft cheese is nice, I should look on the "Delia" website for a few more ideas.
Regards Gracie
marianne34
KG Regular

I like broccoli casserole - just add some potatoes, ham and bechamel sauce and put it in the oven. It is heavenly!
Colin_M
KG Regular

marianne34 wrote:...just add some potatoes, ham and bechamel sauce and put it in the oven.

Are any of the veg cooked beforehand (ie are you just finishing it off in the oven) or do you put some/all in raw and cook for longer?

By the way, I like bacon but have a veggie wife :( Any non-meat versions of these or alternatives would also be welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic