Blackcurrant jam

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi

Has anyone got a recipe for blackcurrant jam please. I picked 10lbs yesterday and it was only a quater of the bush. It's laden. So, am going to do Jenny's cordial and any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lots of love

Lizzie
Primrose
KG Regular

1lb blackcurrants, three quarters of a pint of water, One & a quarter pounds sugar.

1. Put fruit and water into preserving pan
2. Simmer very slowly until fruit is quite soft.
3. Slowly stir in the sugar until dissolved.
4. Boil rapidly until set.

If you don't have a jam thermometer, setting point is when the liquid starts to stick and wrinkle around the edge of the pan. Drop a little onto a cold plate kept in the fridge or freezer. Check after 3 or 4 minutes and if the liquid creases and wrinkles, setting point has been reached.

HAPPY COOKING !
If you want a thicker jam, use only half a pint of water. This will also give a stronger blackcurrant flavour.
Primrose
KG Regular

If you can buy Campden preserving tablets from your chemist or Health Food Store (which are used in winemaking) this syrup is easily made without complicated heat sterilising processes.

Allow quarter pint water for each pound of blackcurrants.
To each pint juice, allow 8 - 12 oz sugar.

Gently simmer fruit and water until very soft and mushy. Press to extract as much juice from fruit as possible.
Strain through a jelly bag.
Measure juice and add sugar, heating gently so sugar is dissolved. Do not boil once sugar has dissolved.
Pour the hot syrup into warm sterlisied glass bottles. (I use screw cap wine bottles which are perfectly satisfactory), adding one crushed Campden tablet to each wine bottle. Shake bottle gently once you have screwed down the lid, to distribute the Campden tablet granules.

I make blackberry syrup by this method. It stores for up to two years.
lizzie
KG Regular

Thank you so much Primrose. Much appreciated.

I've still got the rest of the bush to pick so will do that either tomorrow or Saturday and will start cooking. I can't wait. Just have to pop to Ikea to get the bottles for the blackcurrant cordial.

Ooooh, I love this time of year. So much to pick and eat. Yummy :lol:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic