rhubarb & orange cake

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

I can't lay claim to this as it was from waitrose about a year ago, but it is a fantastic treat - I use around 250g of thin rhubarb rather than the full amount.
400g rhubarb, trimmed & cut into 2cm pieces
200g caster sugar
150g butter, softened
2 eggs, lightly beaten
75g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g ground almonds
grated zest of 1 small orange + 2tbsp juice
25g flaked almonds

Preheat oven to 190C, gas mark 5. Grease a round 23cm springform cake tin & line with baking parchment. Put the rhubarb in a bowl with 50g sugar, stir well & leave for 30 mins.

Meanwhile, beat rest of sugar & butter together till light, then whisk in eggs. Gently fold in the flour, baking powder & ground almonds, then stir in zest & juice.

Stir in rhubarb & sugary juices, then spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Place on a baking tray, sprinkle with flaked almonds and bake for 25 mins. Reduce temp to 180C, gas mark 4 and cook for a further 20-25 mins till firm. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins.

Serve with whatever floats your boat! Yum!
Norfolkbird
KG Regular

had a bit of a cook-fest with Vivienz recipies this weekend - this was another winner!
You'll find me in the Lavender Shed...
vivienz
KG Regular

Thanks for the feedback, Jenny, and glad you enjoyed them. Two of my favourites.
Tiny Tubar
KG Regular

Hello there

I am a newby here - just wanted to say the recipe sounds lovely and as I have a huge crop of rhubarb this year I will give it a go - it will make a changed from stewed or crumble.

I am just over the border in Wilts - but only just by a mile and my work is in Wimborne so not that far from Bournemouth - it would be nice to have some sunshine to finish the summer wouldn't it.

:roll:
Never under estimate the stomach size of a slug.....!
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi everyone, thought I'd bring this recipe back to the top as it's that rhubarby time of year, and this is superb with blanched/forced rhubarb. Enjoy!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks vivienz, You have some delicious recipes. Just going out to cut some rhubarb.
Pat
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic