Recipes for elderflower cordial

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

We have a big family event coming up in a couple of months. Whilst most will be sipping English fizz, wine and beer there will be a few unable to. So, we thought we'd do elderflower codial with soda water.

I think I have a standard recipe somewhere (maybe river cottage), but does anyone have any favourite's and ideas to make it just that bit special (without adding vodka!). The elderflowers are just coming out at the in laws so we plan to use these in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance

Pawty
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I'll watch this with interest, planning on making Elderflower wine too.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've used this recipe from Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook:-

For 2 x 750ml bottles:

1.35kg granulated sugar
Flowers from 15-20 elderflower heads
2 oranges thinly sliced
2 lemons thinly sliced
2 limes thinly sliced
30g tartaric or citric acid

Put 1.5 litres of water and the sugar in a saucepan and dissolve the sugar completely before bringing to the boil.
Add the flowers and return the water to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately.

Thinly slice the fruit into a large bowl or jug. Add the tartaric acid and pour over the hot syrup and flowers. Stir well and cover loosely. Leave for 24 hours.

Strain into warm sterilised bottles and seals. It will keep in the fridge for about 2 months, or if you make plenty pour into plastic bottles and freeze. Frozen will keep for ages.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Too much sugar for me sadly, I kid myself if I add yeast and ferment it, then the sugars gone.................................
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've also made sparkling elderflower wine from the River Cottage recipe and that is a quick and easy wine. It is nice and refreshing but can be a bit lively. I put mine in the fridge for a while before opening and use the Grolsch pot top bottles with the wire things so they can stand the pressure. I don't know if they still make them, but don't use cheap bottles or the seals won't hold.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I was told to use a "champagne " yeast to get a good bubbly, not sure where to get it as my local shop closed, will have a google later.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Sarah Raven said to pick the flowers early in the morning on a dry day about three or four days after they open to get them with the maximum amount of pollen and not to wash it off to get the maximum flavour. Also not to pick them when they start turning brown or they smell of cat's pee.
Monika
KG Regular

Below a recipe by Sophie Grigson which I have used many times, originally copied from "The Independent", 22 May 1993:

......As long as the bottles are scrupulously clean, it will keep for months in a dark cupboard. Diluted with fizzy water, it makes one of the most refreshing long summer drinks. It can also be spooned over ice-cream or added to fruit salad for extra zip.
Makes about 2 1/2 pints (1 1/2 litres)

Ingredients: 20 large heads of elderflower
4 lb (1.8kg) granulated sugar
2 3/4 oz (75g) citric acid (from chemists)*
2 lemons

Preparation: Put the elderflowers in a large bowl or basin. Place sugar in a pan with 2 pints (a generous litre) of water and bring gently up to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Pour over the elderflowers and stir in the citric acid. Add the grated zest of the lemons, then slice lemons and add the slices to the bowl. Cover and leave for 24 hours. Strain through double muslin, pour into sterilised bottles and store in a cool dark place.

* (my footnote) the last few years it has been more difficult to obtain citric acid from chemists, but any shop selling wine making ingredients and equipment usually sells citric acid too. If you have time, no doubt it can be obtained over the internet.

The drink really is delicious!
Geoff
KG Regular

Pawty
KG Regular

That's great, thank you.

I've made elderflower fizz before and it was delicious, but need a non alcoholic version this time.

I love elderflower - makes a great sorbet. Really got into cordial as a refreshing drink. Really makes you feel summery.

Pawty
Monika
KG Regular

My recipe is non-alcoholic, Pawty!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

So is mine. Just mentioned the sparkling elderflower for Tiger.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I intend to try the non alcoholic too, using agarve extract instead of sugar to sweeten it.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I've emailed the recipes to my mum in law who was very grateful - thank you again. I'll let you know how it turns out. If I can get 20 heads today, I might also make some for home.

Pawty
Geoff
KG Regular

My wife says tell you how good pink elderflowers are - she picked some of ours yesterday.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic