Recipes to use up apples

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

How did we get from apples to red cabbage apart from the fact they are great baked together? But the real reason for growing red cabbage is to pickle it to go with hot pot and shepherds' pie! Discovered a great variety called Lodero by the way.
jayjaybee
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:
robo wrote:Don't tell me nobody has pickled red cabbage on their hotpot

Never heard of that one robo! Is it a Northern habit? I gather it's a an old Yorkshire habit to eat cheddar cheese with apple pie, which I only discovered when a relative from that part of the world visited and exclaimed surprise that none had been provided.

There are even some recipes that put the cheddar in with the apple in the pie. I would love a glut of apples, this year mine were very thin on the ground... or do I mean tree? I have started pruning the trees and giving them a good talking to, but I'm probably wasting my time, nature will have the last laugh, as always.
robo
KG Regular

I don't know about northern habit primrose I suppose it must be we take it for granted hotpot with out redcabbage is like a cart with no horse , although her who knows everything prefers pickled beetroot
Westi
KG Regular

Hmm? Apple Pie has cream or ice cream to accompany, Cheddar is on the cheeseboard - one not both to follow your meal. Pickled red cabbage & hotpot - Hmm again!

Wonder who first thought it would work? Probably all what was in the larder at the time & one of those moments! Actually thinking pickled red cabbage & cheddar at this moment, but too full of stew & dumplings to consider trying it.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Coming back to the first query: nobody mentioned apple chutney which is so easy to make and tastes delicious. If anybody is interested, I can provide a proven recipe.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I've made two demi johns full of apple wine, won't be ready till the autumn, so I'll be drinking it when making the next years vintage(hopefully).
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
jayjaybee
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Hmm? Apple Pie has cream or ice cream to accompany, Cheddar is on the cheeseboard - one not both to follow your meal. Pickled red cabbage & hotpot - Hmm again!

Wonder who first thought it would work? Probably all what was in the larder at the time & one of those moments! Actually thinking pickled red cabbage & cheddar at this moment, but too full of stew & dumplings to consider trying it.

Apple and cheese pie, I think we can put some of the blame on our friend Hollywood:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/apple ... dale_16189
Westi
KG Regular

Mind we scoffed at salted caramel, dark chocolate in chilli - but they work. One day I might try it Jenny, but there will be considerable weighing up first or trying it somewhere first.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

I often eat an apple with cheese sandwiches.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Have you tried making cider? I found a couple of bottles of a sparkling dry cider that I made last year and it is excellent. I put it in the fridge for half an hour before opening it as it's a bit lively.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have made cider, but to be honest, if you use ordinary apples as opposed to proper cider apples, the taste is a bit disappointing, hence I made wine this year and added a few chopped raisins in the final fermentation.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Anny365
KG Regular

I have made apple cider in multi cooker (here). It`s easy, quickly and tasty (at least for me). Ingredients:
2½ pounds of apples
1 lemon
½ cup of honey
Cinnamon and cloves.
To make apple cider take the apples, lemon, honey, cinnamon and cloves.
Wash the apples, cut it into slices and clean from the seeds.
Squeeze the juice from apples. Apple pulp from a juicer add to juice. Mix it all well. Squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the apples.
Add honey, cinnamon and cloves into the resulting mass and mix it.
Pour the mass into multi cooker bowl and cook in the "soup" program for about fifteen minutes. Then filter the mass of cinnamon and cloves.
Pour the mass with apple pulp back into multi cooker bowl, boil it and turn off.
Pour the finished apple cider in cups, add the sliced apple and lemon.
My cider-making machine:
:) :) :)
Westi
KG Regular

Oh! Can see you are a foodie Anny!

Any good at bread? There is a bread making topic on general chat with Richard our King of Soda Bread!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Where's the alcohol?
Anny365
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Oh! Can see you are a foodie Anny!

Any good at bread? There is a bread making topic on general chat with Richard our King of Soda Bread!

Can you give me the link? Thanks)))

Geoff wrote:Where's the alcohol?

:shock: Sorry, forgot about that. I`m allergic so make it without alcohol(((
:) :) :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic