Sweet chilli paste

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Sweet Chilli paste
Cook time: 20 mins
This paste should keep for several months in a fridge at 5 degrees

Ingredients

250 g red chilli, chopped
3 clove(s) garlic, finely sliced
100 g light brown sugar, or a mixture of demerara and caster
100 ml water
2 tsp white wine vinegar

Directionsi

Hob method:
1. Chop the chillis and add the garlic ,sugar, water and vinegar into a small stainless steel pan
2. Bringto the boil and simmer over a moderate heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Put in a blender and season with salt to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon reduce all the ingredients into a paste.
4. Return to the pan for a further 10 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent from sticking to the pan. Pour into a sterilised jar, allow to cool and keep in the fridge.

Microwave method:
5. Chop the chillis and add the garlic ,sugar, water and vinegar into a micro-waveable bowl.
6. Bring to the boil on medium power for two minutes and then simmer from 4 minutes or until soft.
7. Put in a blender and season with salt to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon and blitz all the ingredients into a paste.
8. Return to the bowl for a further 5 mins on simmer.
9. Transfer to a jar, and allow to cool before transferring to keep in the fridge.

Don't top the paste with olive oil. This risks causing botulism to occur.
One teaspoon of this mixtures added to any sauce is generally enough to add suffixient heat unless you like a very hot sauce.
Small plastic containers of this paste can also be stockpiled in the freezer.
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose. I have lots of chillis so will definitely give this a go.

Pawty
Pawty
KG Regular

I haven't got to the chilli paste yet, however I spent this afternoon making the chilli jam from the KG website. Christmas presents for the family.... My chillis were yellow and instead of using red peppers I used the picantos which I grew at the allotment... Cold water required .....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (351.7 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
Primrose
KG Regular

They look delicious Pawty. i imagine the jam tastes rather like the commercial sweet chilli dipping sauce we sometimes use in Chinese cooking. I must check out the recipe. We still have a lot of chillies in the freezer to use up.
Westi
KG Regular

Patty
I
love Chilli Jam & they make great presents!

Those look lovely, but anticipating they are a wee bit hotter than the one I make. I never thought of using my yellow ones in this recipe - will try it though, that looks pretty! And thanks for the idea about Sweet Chilli Chinese Sauce Primrose, I remember finding a recipe for that a while back & thinking must make it - then forgot.... :wink: I really must get organised!

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks primrose and westi, yes, it's a bit like dipping sauce but much much hotter.... I hadn't appreciated how hot those yellow chillies are!

I like to try and use as much home grown as possible so often adapt the recipe .... Which doesn't always work......

First time I've used jam sugar. It really is very good!

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic