Any gooseberry chutney recipies?

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stephen
KG Regular

I suppose it is good news:- I have run out of freezer space!
So with 6kg of gooseberries I have started by using 1.5kg to make gooseberry and lime jam (it's as much a marmalade as the recipe has a lot of lime - my notes say to use fewer next time so there is more gooseberry in the taste).
The only chutney I have found is gooseberry and ginger http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/ ... -recipe-2/ which will do in part but the under-gardener doesn't like food with ginger (a crying shame as I love it).
So does anyone have other recipes or ideas?
Last edited by Stephen on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Having made the recipe on the linked page, I should point out there is a lot wrong with it, particularly the volume of vinegar. Scroll down and there are some reader's comments (which I should have found before I started). I doubled the weight of gooseberries and drained off a litre of liquid to get a nice chutney-ish consistency.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

The excellent recipe I have used for the last couple of years is based on one from ‘Jams, Preserves and Chutneys’ by Marguerite Patten. The original recipe uses white malt vinegar and mixed pickling spices, but I use the ready spiced white pickling vinegar successfully.

450 g onions, finely chopped
300 ml white pickling vinegar
900 g gooseberries
350 g soft light brown sugar
100 g raisins
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Chop the onions and put into half the amount of vinegar, and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
Cut the gooseberries into pieces and add to the pan with the rest of the vinegar, the sugar, dried fruit and a little seasoning.
Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer steadily, stirring occasionally, until the consistency of a thick jam. (Personally, I find this bit the most difficult as it seems to take quite a long time and I am never sure when the right consistency is reached, as the chutney thickens up slightly when cold; but the guesswork usually seems not too far off).
Spoon into hot jars and seal.

I find it really yummy, and so, it would appear, do other recipients of my efforts.
Give it a go.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks Fred, I've picked lots of gooseberries today and lifted the onions so will be trying your recipe tomorrow.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Good luck PlumPudding :)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've made the chutney this afternoon with a couple of slight amendments. Sultanas instead of raisins and soft dark brown sugar as that was what I had. It is very nice thank you Fred. It made three jars which is plenty.

It says that if you draw a wooden spoon through it it leaves a line for a few seconds that doesn't fill up with vinegar when it is ready.
Stephen
KG Regular

Thanks Fred.
I'll try it out once I am back at home.
Stephen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic