Quick and easy Japanese pickled vegetables

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

IMG_1456 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1456 (640x480).jpg (182.28 KiB) Viewed 3240 times

Some like it raw!

If anyone would like the recipe I will post it. These really are delicious as a cold raw vegetable dish.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

I love unusual salads. Please post the recipe Alan.
alan refail
KG Regular

Quick and easy Japanese pickled vegetables

Some or all of the following:

Large carrot
Mooli
Fennel
Turnip
Radishes

Cut the carrot, mooli and fennel into thick matchsticks about 2 inches long. Slice the turnip and radishes very thinly.

Heat 100 ml (3.5 fluid oz) of rice wine vinegar*, a tablespoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of salt until boiling**. Pour over the prepared vegetables and stir. Leave for a few hours, stirring occasionally.
For more Japanese flavour serve topped with a few slices of pickled (sushi) ginger and a sprinkle of toasted black sesame seeds.

* White wine vinegar may be OK, but definitely not malt vinegar

** I add a small squeeze of wasabi paste for more bite
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

thanks Alan. You have reminded me I haven't grown Mooli for a while and haven't seen it recently in our local fruit & veg street market either. .
The stallholder doesn't seem to be much into "foreign stuff" and when he does sell it, the names are given some rather peculiar spellings. :lol: But it's a very flexible vegetable so must give it a whirl again. The main problem is that the roots go so deep it's difficult to dig them out in one piece!
alan refail
KG Regular

...or, in Japanese 漬物
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic