beetroot chutney

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

dirt-digger
KG Regular

make about nine jars

1.5kg cooked beetroot, diced into small cubes
500g of sweet apples not a cooking apples, finely chopped
500g onions, finely chopped
450g granulated sugar
600ml white vinegar
2 teaspoon sea salt

Recipe Instructions

Make the chutney.
Put the chopped onion and vinegar into a large saucepan and heat this gently until it starts to simmer. Add the beetroot, apple, sugar and sea salt and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently until the chutney starts to thicken. Remove the lid and let the liquid reduce.

Jar the chutney.
Spoon the chutney into hot sterile jars and seal the jars immediately. Store in a dark cool place but refrigerate once opened.
kylie_k
KG Regular

I made this recently but added one small change, I added a few small chillis and some ginger which gave then whole chutney a real kick. For this recipe I added about 2cm of grated ginger and 2 small chillis finely chopped and added them in when I cooked the onion and venegar. Just before I added them into my preserving jars I could really smell the strong aroma from the chillis, it will taste great in about a month.
The Mouse
KG Regular

I'll certainly give that a go when (or if !!!) my beetroot grows.

One question, as I've never made chutney before: does "white vinegar" mean distilled malt vinegar? I guess it is, as that's all I can see on the supermarket shelves, but I'd like to be sure. :D
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic