cooker hood

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pongeroon
KG Regular

Anyone know much about these?

We took ours down to put new tiles up (they look lovely) and we rather like the look of the kitchen without it. We hadn't used it for ages because it was so noisy and didn't seem to work that well (it does need a new filter). Any point in putting it back up? Anyone else manage fine without?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Pongeroon,
have a close look at the filter pad and think how nice the contents of that would look all over the kitchen ceiling...........
Regards Sally Wright.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

When I had a new kitchen fitted I had to do without my old extractor fan for a while, and it really brought home to me how much steam is produced when you are cooking. All the windows were steamed up and the cooking smells went all through the house.

I know you can open the windows in warm weather, but you don't want them open in the middle of winter.

My new one has a washable filter, and even though I don't have a lot of fry-ups, it still catches a lot of grease from the air above the stove. It just needs a wash in warm suds every couple of weeks.

I would definitely recommend fitting a new one, and make sure it extracts through a vent to outside, some only filter and re-circulate the air inside.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies Sally and PP. You have both made points that I had thought of, but I was a bit in denial, I think! Its good that you have confirmed these points. I cannot vent the hood to outside unfortunately because of the position of the cooker. So a new recirculating hood is in order I suppose. I can't find a makers name anywhere on the current one so a new filter will be difficult to track down. Thanks again.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Just had a good look at the filter and I think it may be a washable one. Only one way to find out....
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's the end of that one then. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Never had a cooker hood in my long life, Pongeroon, in spite of, at one time, cooking every meal for a family of seven. Open windows and doors work well!
pongeroon
KG Regular

Well it washed fine OH, so yaa boo sucks to you :twisted:

And having reluctantly decided to put it back, you are giving me second thoughts, Monika. Will discuss it with my FYM.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

:) :wink: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Love you really, OH :wink:

Cold and damp here today, off to buy new sink after the GP has finished. Zingggg,zingggg,zinggg, round they go again and again. I know who wins, and am trying so hard not to tell the FYM... :lol:
Primrose
KG Regular

Having seen what a disgusting amount of fat & grease ends up in our cooker hood, even when we often slightly open the kitchen door when cooking, I can't imagine what our kitchen would be like if we didn't have one. I do think they greatly divert steam & grease which would otherwise end up filtering into nearby cupboards.

I have only to look at the greasy state the stainless steel splashback plate we affixed to our kitchen tiles at the back of the hob gets into to realise just how much gunk gets diverted. But perhaps we are just messy cooks !
Last edited by Primrose on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

I gave up on an extractor fan when I opened my previous one and loads of little beads fell out. Mistake.....Now have greasey spider webs stuck to the artexed ceiling! Thankfully can live with it for a bit as getting a new kitchen (or holiday) :D Only thing I can say is check out what is filtering in the hood as there are many types - and you DON'T want the bead things!!!

Westi
Westi
daniel5
KG Regular

I didn't have a cooker hood until I had a complete refit of my kitchen and since using it I can see how much cleaner my kitchen is after cooking. So definitely put it back up and use it :)
pongeroon
KG Regular

Cooker hood refitted :D
Keep forgetting to use it :roll:
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh don't worry, you'll soon start to use it when you spot little grease drops starting to fall off your kitchen ceiling & lamp fittings ! :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic