What to do with Pumkin seeds?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

Actually, it's squash seeds that I've got, but I hope they'd be similar.

I've seen various people talk about toasting/roasting them and how nutritious they are. Having tried this @ 180 C for around 10-15 minutes I'm disappointed with the end results.

The seeds themselves are fiddly to get into. When I do, the contents seem very reluctant to come out. Today's seeds would split into two halves but the inner stuff was stuck in a thin layer to each half of the seed case. You had to be very dedicated to stick at eating these..... :roll:

Is there a better/easier way of doing this or do you just need the patience of a saint?!!
Tigger
KG Regular

Why are you opening them Colin? I use them whole. :?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The best option is to grow Lady Godiva pumpkins as their seeds are hull-less and you can just roast and eat them. I've seen a recipe somewhere that mixes soy sauce, a splash of oil and spices of your choice and coats the seeds with this before roasting them for a few minutes.

I've not found an easy way to take the seed coats off, and they are very tough if you roast them with them on. My teeth aren't up to the challenge anyway.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Colin,
there is a variety called triple treat and also an Austrian one called styrian(I think)both of which have naked seeds. TT is comercially available.
Regards Sally Wright.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Tigger wrote:Why are you opening them Colin? I use them whole. :?

So do you eat them with the shells on?
The shells on all the ones I've tried (both my own and shop bought roasted pumpkin seeds) are pretty tough and inedible.

Maybe the ones you have are like Plum & Sally mention?
Colin_M
KG Regular

PlummPudding & Sally

In answer to your suggestions, the problem I have is that I have several Squashes full of seeds that I've already grown this summer.

I apprecaite your comments but it's a bit like the proverbial country gentlemen telling a lost traveller "well if I was going there, I wouldn't have started from here".

No insult intended - i know you were trying to help. Sound like I just shouldn't attempt what I've been trying to do with these ones. Probably also explains how you can buy things like jars of Pumpkin Seed butter.
goldilox
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
I'm pretty sure you can sprout them and eat the sprouts in salads or stir fries - how about trying that on your kitchen windowsill?
KGAdmin
Site Admin

OLD FORUM POST BY : PLUMPPUDDING

Hi Colin, I thought you might say we'd not answered your question, but perhaps our lack of an answer could give you a clue as to their difficulty. You don't have a parrot do you?
garden_serf
KG Regular

Or a bird feeder?
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic