Making apple butter

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Somebody mentioned Apple butter with pancakes to me today. Have made damson cheese in the past but not familiar with this. Have quickly looked at a few recipes on the internet and they seem to be complicated as apparently you have to cook the apples with peel and cores to retain the pectin and then sieve/mash to get a pulp. As I usually get given a lot of apples I wonder if anybody has a simple or easy way of making this?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Have you got a mouli sieve Primrose? You just put the softened fruit in, whizz the handle round and the puree comes out the bottom leaving the cores and peel in the top. It's very quick. I think you have to spend a long time stirring the seasoned puree to prevent it burning on the bottom of the pan after that - one to two hours. One suggestion for a faster result was to microwave it for 30 minutes with a couple of stirs instead of doing it in a pan.

It's on my to do list for next week. I might mix bramleys with a few early worcesters. The recipe I found uses 4 lb apples.
Primrose
KG Regular

No unfortunately I don't have a mouli sieve. I've never seemed to have needed one. I'm trying to think of an alternative way of processing the pulp . If I make some, I think I'd probably go the microwave route for the cooking as often made marmalade very successfully that way in the past.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic