'Chargrilled' courgette chutney?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mouse2
KG Regular

I have made ordinary courgette chutney before, but was wondering whether to try chargrilling the courgettes first this time, to add a different flavour. Has anyone tried this, or have any views on whether or not it is worth trying?
Primrose
KG Regular

I can't speak for chutney Mouse but much of the time these days we chargrill our courgettes cut lengthways in a griddle pan instead of boiling them. In my view this vastly improves the eating quality and texture, prevents them going mushy and reduces some of their water content.

In a chutney everything ends up being cooked together in a liquid eventually so will inevitably get a little mushy but I certainly recommend you try it. You may we'll find the texture of the courgette content is greatly improved. Please do report back if you try it. I still have jars of chutney in the cupboard to get through before I attempt to make any more but by the end of the season I might be tempted ! (Or forced to to use up a surplus).
Mouse2
KG Regular

Thanks for answering, PP. Yes, I think I will give it a go. Last year, I discovered that courgettes quickly browned in a frying pan make a lovely additional layer in a lasagne, and think that a similar flavour could work well in a chutney. I will let you know the outcome.
Westi
KG Regular

Love char grilled courgette to pack out layers in lasagne or just thrown in a salad. (Like the little griddle lines for a start). I think it could work based on what Primrose says about drying out the flesh a bit but wonder if the charred surface may discolour the chutney?
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

When we griddle our courgettes they just get lightly char griddled with the ridge marks of the griddle pan. If you cook them. In this way I wouldnt have thought it would be enough to cause serious discolouration by themselves as presumably there will be other cooked down ingredients in the chutney such as onions and possibly a dark coloured vinegar or possibly dark sugar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic