Some random thoughts on preserving our produce

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

:) Have just picked a huge amount of redcurrants and decided to convert some to reducrrsnt syrup for winter use with porridge, hot drinks etc.

Coulsn't remember remember exact recipe so pulled off the bookshelf my old faithful Marguerite Pattern paperback book on Preserves bought the year after we got married. (Price 2/6d pre decimal currency !). The pages are brown with age now and all falling away from the cover, stuck in with brown ageing Sellotape as it has been referred to so regularly over the years. In this rapid age of change there's a very reassuring feel about its continuity!

I still have my mum's first cookery book acquired in 1937 which is in a similar state of decay. It's also stuffed with lots of little scraps of paper in her handwriting with some of the Austerity recipes which were issued during the war years so reading it is like having a mini history lesson on times past. Woolton Pie anybody?

At a time when almost everything is available instantly on tap in a supermarket it feels a shame that many of these food preserving skills are a forgotten art to a younger generation who have never known about food shortages and the art of making the most of what you had or were able to grow to eke out your rations.

Incidentally I still have ankther redcurrant bush to pick which looks similarly overloaded with fruit. Any innovative preserving ideas welcome! :)
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My Dad used to make redcurrent jelly, much preferred to cranberry in our household, I don't have a recipe sadly.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You've got me reminiscing now Primrose although I'm just post war but things were still rationed. I was thinking the other day what a pathetic lot people are when they have to buy ready peeled and chopped up fruit and veg, not to mention ready meals.

I've made a gallon of white currant wine today from one bush (White Grape) and have a White Versailles still to pick. I've not made red currant this year as still have a few bottles still to drink (not on my own of course but with help).

I've also used some raspberries and tayberries up in a fruity jelly. I'll probably make up a few tubs of mixed berries to freeze and might make a few jars of jam, but not many as I've still got some of those from last year too. I hate throwing anything away, but sometimes it's a problem knowing what to do when it's all ready at once. I wondered about donating some to the local W.I. so they could make something to sell at their summer fair.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, a surplus at this time of year can be embarrassing. Like you I still have surplus stuff in the freezer from last year ! I took a load of surplus gooseberries down to our village library where they quickly found a new home in return for a donation to our Friends of the Library fund for purchasing new books, now that County funds have dried up for such luxuries.

We used to make a lot of wine but have now disposed of our winemaking equipment so that option no longer open to us.
retropants
KG Regular

Oh yes, red currant jelly is far superior to cranberry!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic