Jam SOS!

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

We had a lot of strawberries this year over 25 pounds the first lot after eating our fill I made jam with them and had a similar problem it was runny this I returned to the pan and left uncovered for over a day meanwhile my eldest turned up so I gave her the next batch of strawberries she made jam with them and it set no problem she told me the problem was my lot were to wet that was why I could only get them to boil to 104 deg when I needed a 105 she suggested I leave it to dry out for a couple of days this I did then reboiled it and managed to get to 105.5 deg it did set but not like my daughter's ,this was my first attempt
at jam making the second attempt was blackcurrant which was successful
Primrose
KG Regular

Glad this one turned out to be a success. I think gooseberries are much more reliable than strawberries to work with. As you say, a mixed soft fruit is always a better bet. I always like to have a bottle of Certo on hand for emergency use when jam making although these days we rarely consume it (apart from the occasional afternoon tea treat with scones and cream !)

Did you use stem ginger with the gooseberries or the fresh root?
Monika
KG Regular

It was "Gingery Gooseberry Jam" rather than "Ginger and Goos....", Primrose, so I just used four thick slices of root ginger which were removed before bottling. The recipe was Waitrose's.
Grow4us2eat
KG Regular

Coming late to this post as only joined the site just now. But always remembr when using frozen fruit that the pectin content goes down so you need to add more of the fruit than you would if fresh.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, and some extra pectin and lemon juice too !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic