Finally got a 'Spiralizer'

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

This one will do bent carrots and bent courgettes, what else can I use it for ?

It's a large pencil sharpener.
Attachments
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 6953 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

Gather dust?
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

No Geoff, I loved the idea of a spiralizer but just could't get my head around how many things I could turn into spirals other than carrot and courgette. Spiralled potato could be good in a fry up but this little tool will work for me and it is smaller than those whirligig spiralizers that don't do bent carrots.

My favoured salad is garden leaves and herbs now with spiral courgette and carrot and the tool fits in the back of the cutlery drawer.

Know what you mean though and I don't have any gadgets I don't use other than my Magimix that I used until it nearly died, the Kenwood gets used, the bread machine gets used.

We have a small 'Galley' kitchen, fine for us two but cramped if we have guests. No room for gadgets that gather dust.

Tonights salad was fizzed up by one the many fantastic balsamic I bought back from Mallorca, this one is lime. I daren't tell you about the other four lovelies for fear of envy.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
John
KG Regular

Does it sharpen pencils?

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
robo
KG Regular

You could wrap your coir yarn around it when you go out tying your tomatoes and veg up
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Richard!

I have what I thought was a tiny one, but it has a wee handle & catching tray underneath & is a machine rather than a kitchen drawer tool & - is in the cupboard! :) It works fine on soft things but there is only so much courgetti you can eat & it can't deal with anything hard. I still have veg spaghetti & stuff but use one of those potato peeler things that takes strips so not curls & finer so can go cooked or raw. The spiralizer makes it thicker & you do have to marinade it to soften for salads or cook longer than expected for a spaghetti alternative.

What you might like to play with is Cauliflower rice - & uses for. I have made several nice pizza's with cauliflower bases - brown nicely & crisp up & just plain cauli rice steamed for a bit is great as well, but still think there is more to make with this ingredient! And no tools other than a knife needed!
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Love cauliflower rice...delicious.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

I've never had cauliflower rice , my wife makes cauliflower cheese it's to die for but she struggles these days as her memory is not good due to a stroke thankfully our eldest daughter Carrie's on the family tradition
Westi
KG Regular

Best get Carrie on it then robo, it is lovely & so much more flavour than real rice & loads of recipes out there. The pizza's are lovely as well, I was apprehensive as thought it would be too watery but they always turn out crispy & lush!

I have mentioned this to Richard as I've also tried cauliflower cheese soda bread which was OK but having seen Richard's baking talents I'm sure he can do better.
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I bought a spiralizer like that and partner spiralized his finger while washing up - he didn't realise it had a blade!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Ha-ha-ha, I love it.

This spiral isn't is as limited as the the others I've seen though I needed to do tests before I commented. You need carrots and courgettes long because the driving cap is useless.

I'm happy with this purchase, it was heavily discounted and I'm not surprised.

I figured it's limitations and still bought it, if I want spiralised carrots I need to commit at least one large carrot just for me because you need part of the carrot to hold on too. Same with courgette.

It's ok, I don't need counciling and I'm aware of the risk to fingers if you don't use massive carrots. I only use organic now that organic carrots are available though I do look forward to my own that may be online late autumn. Aldi do organic carrots.

Please don't think I'm a spiraizer adoptor, it was always going to be a respite from grating and my first few salads with spiral carrot and courgette have been lovely.

It's a pencil sharpener. When you sharpen a pencil you usually have a pencil to hold onto, not-so with a carrot or courgette unless they've been hammered with chemical nutrient.
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi.

I had to try some sort of spiralizer, sitting back and criticising without qualifying your comments tends to get you a pile of critics so I Now figuring that if you accept the limitations of each product, and are adventurous, and have the cupboard space the it's worth playing with. Having said that I'm convinced the best option is the potato peeler type you refer to. You get the whole carrot.

THE BIGGEST RISK IS OFTEN NOT TAKING A RISK.
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Indeed Richard!

Do hope you try Cauliflower rice though! Much easier & pretty versatile but like everything else down to taste! I mentioned it to you from the bread angle. It tastes & feels like a carb when done like this. I haven't the experience or any real knowledge but can you dehydrate cauliflower to make a flour? Probably a silly question but you are pretty knowledgable about bread & hence flour & who'd have known chickpeas would make flour?? I basically haven't a clue but I can't make a decent loaf of bread either, but the sourdough I bought with cauliflower on the top was quite nice but couldn't figure what to team it with!

Over to you then bread maker to research & report back - oops back on the risk angle! :)
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I bought a electric spiralizer from Lidl today and have just tested it out on a courgette and an apple and it is very easy to use and makes very good spirals. It is on special today at £19.99. I've tried the pencil sharpener type and a manual one with limited success but this one is a much better design. I might use the courgettes before they get marrow sized now and there are some interesting recipes in the accompanying booklet.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks for the tip PP!

Was at Lidl's yesterday and never saw one, but our Lidl's is a bit scruffy with the non food offers & it all ends up in a big jumble as people rummage & staff leave it. I'm quite impressed with the quality of these items for the price - I've a kettle & an electric boiled egg thing that have been going for about 2 years now and just bought a new hand blender a few weeks back as mine is making a bit of a racket so is probably on it's way out & didn't want to get caught out. None of these were over £20 & all have a 2 yr guarantee - amazing value!
How big is the electric spiralizer PP?
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic