Roasted carrots

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Continuing from the photo of "what I harvested today", I thought I would share my favourite recipe for roasted carrots. Please let me know how you do yours when accompanying a Sunday roast, I am always happy to try new ways!

As my carrots were quite big, I cut them lenghtway to have long slim strands.
Parboil them in salted water. They must still be very firm. This is just to soften them a bit
Drain them in cold water to stop the cooking, and dry on kitchen towels or paper
Pre heat the oven at 200 degrees C. (If not fan, then 220)
In a bowl, pour 60g Honey, a good glug of Maple Syrup, a couple of table spoon of olive oil, some balsamic vinegar, some crushed corander seeds or a bit of powder. Add some fresh thyme. I also had some Rosemary left so added that too. Salt, pepper to taste. Leave to marinade until necessary. So up to this stage this can be prepared in advance.
Pat dry and place the carrots in a single layer on a tray or oven proof dish. Make sure what you do not put liquid as you do not want to boil them again. Some liquid will ooze out of the carrots and then crisp in the cooking process.
It takes around 30 minutes to roast them nicely

Then gobble up with your roast....

Here are some I made earlier!

image.jpg
image.jpg (870.25 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Westi
KG Regular

And your favourite Oscar?

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

The tastiest on this batch were actually the Purple Sun. They remained firm and the taste of carrots still came through the honey and herbs. I will plant them again next year! Second came the F1 Resistafly, very traditional. The white one were the disappointment this time around. Maybe I let them grow too much.
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Westi
KG Regular

I'm glad you said the purple one Oscar - it was a well handsome carrot raw & would have been a shame if it was tasteless!

I just get the harlequin pack & you don't get that little beauty in it, so will choose them separately! Seeds keep for ages, so can do my own mix!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic