Freezing home grown products

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

My new Miele fridge /freezer unfortunately doesn't have a dedicated open freezing removable shelf tray which I previously had in which i can open freeze beans, soft fruit etc, so that i can bag them up loosely after freezing and grab handfuls of whatever I need instead of being faced with a frozen block of product which is iced up when the products are bagged up after blancing.

I sorely miss this facility and wonder if anybody has any tips for alternative loose freezing. At the moment I'm trying to open freeze products like climbing beans and redcurrants in trays placed on top of freezer drawers packed with other stuff and suffering a lot of spillages when I try and remove the trays for product bagging up.

Is there a better way which I have overlooked?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I spread them out on a baking tray and just sit it on top of the frozen stuff.
Westi
KG Regular

I've got a Miele too, so found a baking tray to fit top fast freeze drawer from £ shop or 99p or one of them & sit that on top of whatever is in that drawer. Freezes so fast that I can bag them up quickly, & tray is designated for this task only.

Does your Miele have an alarm Primrose? Mine drives me batty with it's bleep, bleep, bleep when I'm trying to unload the shop or get something out that is under other stuff! I find myself telling it 'I'm just here, I know the door is open'! (Which in turn drives Mr Westi batty)! :lol:

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for that comment Westi . I must redistibute some stuff in my top fast freeze drawer to my garage freezer and look for a suitable baking tray which fits in it. I!ve been using my 35 yesr old upright garage freezer for freezing stuff since buying the new unit which is taking much longer.
Yes, our alarm does beep occasionally but we!ve learned now to line up all the new shopping close to the fridge so we can stuff it all in pretty quickly
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic