My Problem with Blanch

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Back in 2013 Monika asked a question about blanching.

Names that are still stalwarts of these forums replied, Beryl & Westi
Participation seems to be much the same these days. A few names who keep the threads alive.

Anyway to the point I wanted to ask,
Why don't Blanch and I get on
not Blanch out of Corrie rest her soul, but I really do struggle it seems to blanch for the correct amount of time. I've got the timing charts but I struggle with the timing.

I boil the water, the book says blanch item x for 2 minutes, I put item x in the boiling water and hey presto of course it stops boiling. It then takes longer than 2minutes to come back to the boil and during this time item x is cooking. I've tried putting less produce in the pan at a time but even that doesn't seem to work.

Back in 2013 the consensus was don't blanch, has that opinion changed, do others have a different opinion.

To blanch properly does the water have to come back to the boil before freezing.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

I know that it probably upsets the purists not to blanch, but the only produce I bother to blanch these days is sweetcorn. Whole cobs are blanched for about 5 minutes after the water has come back to the boil; only putting a few in the pan at one time to minimise their cooling effect. After blanching they are put in several changes of cold water and dried before freezing.
My peas and beans are frozen without blanching, and I'm not sure their taste or texture is much different from fresh, at least over the period of time they normally last.
Westi
KG Regular

Still don't blanch Pa, just open tray freeze then bag up. If you are concerned at all, why don't you just put said veg in a colander and pour a kettle of boiling water over them.

I think blanching's gone out because we have fast freeze options maybe? Does Mr Birdseye blanch his peas? Now I've said that I think I may look at his processes. There was something on Countryfile recently but I was more engrossed in the size of the machinery! :D

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I don't blanch peas and broad beans but do most other veg for a short time.

I didn't used to but have found that blanching usually makes them taste better and last longer. If you use them in less than three months it doesn't make much difference, but if you are keeping them longer it is best to blanch as it stops the enzymes that cause deterioration and checks vitamin loss.

I've recommended this book before and still find it excellent:- "Organic Vegetable & Fruit Growing & Preserving month by month" by Alan and Jackie Gear. It is a mine of information from start to finish and the section on preserving tells you everything you need to know.
There is also very good info on the particular vitamins and minerals in each kind of fruit and veg which is useful if your diet needs a boost or you think you are short of something wIthout resorting to buying pills.

I find that using a large pan of boiling water and not putting too many veg in at a time works best, and yes it should reach boiling point again before you time it. Also you can take into account that you have partially cooked them so don't need to cook them as long when you use them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic