Certo or powdered pectin

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Anybody know anything about using powdered pectin? The Strawberries are coming and Certo looks very expensive.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Having used powdered pectin a couple of times in the past and found it not to have dissolved properly (my fault obviously) I now stick to squeezing an appropriate amount of fresh lemons

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Geoff. I much prefer Certo to the powdered stuff. I used the powder one year when I couldn't get the Certo and wasn't entirely happy with the flavour or the colour of the strawberry jam. It might seem expensive to buy the Certo but I think it's worth it, for the result.
Last year, I used the Jam sugar which has added pectin, (not the Preserve sugar) with a good result and a lot less faffing about...also doesn't need boiling so much to reach setting point. I have used this again this year. 2lb of stawberries and a bag of jam sugar made three and a half jars of jam.
Have you any red currants? They are full of pectin.
Happy with my lot
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Finely chop two or three gooseberries and mix with strawberries for a good set. You can't taste them.
Beryl
KG Regular

Using Certo is fail safe method but I would have made some gooseberry juice by softening them first in a little water but I am sure Plumb puddings way is just as good to.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic