From Home Preserves by Jackie Burrow, 1979:

Ginger Marmalade
750g oranges, sweet or Seville
500g lemons
25g root ginger, peeled and chopped
3.5l water
2.75kg sugar
225g preserved ginger, finely chopped

Wash the oranges and lemons and cut in half. Squeeze the juice and pour into a large pan. Tie the pips with the root ginger in a muslin bag and add to the pan. slice the orange and lemon peel into thin shreds, without removing the pith, and add to the pan. Pour the water into the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then simmer for 1.5 hours or until the fruit is very soft. Remove the muslin bag, squeezing the juice back into the pan.
Add the sugar etc etc... (you will know the rest!)
Stephen
KG Regular

I love ginger. As does my father and sister, as did my mother. Her recipe for Marrow Ginger has near legendary status in the family.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

And that recipe is Stephen?

Don't tease now!

Westi
Westi
Marigold
KG Regular

When I lived in Donegal I used to pop over the Border to shop at ASDA and they had pound jars of Ginger Preserve that I could mix with orange marmalade...Wish I could still get it. About to try Orange and Rhubarb marmalade and grapefruit and ginger...
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Marigold

What oranges do you use for Orange & Rhubarb marmalade at this time of year.

I have only ever used Seville oranges when they are available in January and make enough to last the year.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Marigold
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Marigold

What oranges do you use for Orange & Rhubarb marmalade at this time of year.

I have only ever used Seville oranges when they are available in January and make enough to last the year.

I make big batches of various marmalade bases eg orange, lemon, grapefruit, lime as I sell jams at markets all year then mix them to my recipes. No trading from Christmas until end of March so I do that then, Orange marmalade is OK with sweet oranges anyways but I do not sell " plain " jam anyways so it is less vital. I do Three Fruit and Saint Clements etc and of course Irish Whiskey marmalade! So i will blend the rhubarb mix with already made orange marmalade... froze rhubarb last year when it was on special offer. The ma-made is not bad but have not used that for years. Just done some rhubarb and raspberry jam which is utterly delicious..frozen fruit again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic