Not Cooking exactly but help with Juice!

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I want to make some juice with my Red Love apples which are coming along nicely. Not large this year but lots of them, but it's a maturing tree so just getting in the swing of things.

I can't see the point in buying a press for a few apples so was wondering if anyone can talk (well obviously type), me through a manual way of getting some juice out of these?

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

A juicer perhaps?

You could use it on other produce, carrots even.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I use my juicer. It takes quite a lot of apples to make 1 litre. I store it in sterilised plastic fruit juice bottles in the freezer if I've too much to use quickly.
Catherine
KG Regular

I bought one of those Bullet juicers earlier this year. It is superb for making juices. I had a cheaper model but I burnt the motor out. I use our kale and chard from the garden with other fruit and veggies. BUT whatever you do, make sure you don't use the pips because I have read somewhere, and I don't know where, that you shouldn't allow the apple seeds into your juice as they are poisonous.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Apple pips (along with several other fruit seeds from the rose family) do contain trace amounts of cyanide; however as a child I used to chew up and eat the pips and I'm still here. I have a lot of apples that I do not know what to do with and juicing is a good idea. My Morgan Sweet apples are dropping now and some local cider makers have said that they were interested but so far the wasps seem more interested. Perhaps I may start making cider again if they all go to waste this year.

Barney
Catherine
KG Regular

Well that is what I thought, I am of an age which ate almost the whole of an apple and I am still here. I am sure the whole apple goes through the presses for cider and we are still here. (I think) :)) The only thing I would suggest is watching the high natural sugar you will be drinking because I think it could cause a sugar spike which is not good for you.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I made a very nice apple and beetroot juice drink today and then found a muffin recipe using the left over pulp which was also excellent (even though I modified it a bit and forgot to put the half cup of yoghurt in!)

I think that if you core the apples before making apple juice the resulting juice doesn't seem to make as much brown froth - might just be my imagination but I like it better, but if you do it with beetroot it is lovely and purple, so looks more appetising.
Westi
KG Regular

PP that brown color is exactly what puts me off apple juice which is why I tried the Red Love. Hoping it will be nice & pink, but like the idea of the beetroot added so will have 2 options.

Time for a juicer then! Although if any windfall may just try macerating them in the magi-mix & going for the squeeze method. Not sure I can afford a new juicer just yet but desperate to see the color & of course taste.

Westi
Westi
melving.crane
KG Regular

A fruit juicer perhaps you need to make juice out of the apples you have! My wife blends juice regularly and I can see she uses juicer machine for this purpose.
Westi
KG Regular

Funny to see this come up again. I did buy a juicer by sheer chance (read Sale), & made fabulous ruby red juice that was delicious!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic