rhubarb and strawberry-flavoured vinegar?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

The Mouse
KG Regular

Has anyone any experience of making fruit-flavoured vinegars? I didn't even know these even existed until very recently, but fancy having a go at it now.
As rhubarb and strawberry go really well together in a dessert, I'm guessing that the same would be true in a vinegar. I don't suppose any of you have tried this combination, have you? If so, I'd love a recipe.

Failing that, I might try combining two separate recipes that I've found. However, the rhubarb recipe involves boiling the ingredients together, whereas the strawberry one involves steeping the ingredients at room temperature for a couple of days, so I think I would have to do those stages separately before combining them. Obviously, it would be better if someone knew of a recipe that brought the two together from the start :)
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Have only made raspberry vinegar and blackcurrant vinegar, both by the steeping method; both very successful. Have not tried rhubarb though.
Primrose
KG Regular

There are probably recipes available on the internet if you do a Google search. They are one of the preserving elements I,ve never experimented with because apart from using as a salad dressing, I've never been quite sure what I could use them for.
The Mouse
KG Regular

Fred: Raspberry vinegar does sound nice. My raspberries are only just beginning to fruit, but if I have a glut in a few weeks time I might give it a go.

Primrose: For some reason, I could only find separate rhubarb vinegar and strawberry vinegar recipes on the Internet. That surprised me, given that this is such a great flavour combination (in puddings, at least). Anyway, I've taken the plunge and have combined two recipes to start off a batch, opting for the steeping method. Fingers crossed.

Like you, when I first heard of these vinegars, I just thought of salad dressings, but while searching for recipes I've discovered that the fruit ones are also used as drinks (diluted), as marinades for meat, and as pouring sauces on things like ice cream, pancakes and Yorkshire puddings etc.
If my recipe works, I'll share it on here :)
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Primrose
KG Regular

Sounds interesting Mouse. Yes raspberries and strawberries do go well together as a dessert. Can,t see any reason why a combined vinegar recipe wouldn't work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic