How long did your non-stick last ?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Primrose, I also think there should be a warning on the box how fragile they are. I decided to change a complete set of mine - (9 bulbs in all) the glass is so thin I broke 3 just putting them in. One box had one broken when I opened it but B & Q did refund for that one.

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

i. just think they're horrible and quite difficult to read by, especially as you grow older and your eyesight deteriorates . I see little point in saving the planet if I wreck my eyesight in the process but that is perhaps a rather selfish viewpoint.
Catherine
KG Regular

We've had two ceramic frying pans, never again. They really don't last. They don't stand up to high heats very long then you get brown sticking patches. We have an Ikea frying pan which we have had about four years and have never had any problems with it. I can highly recommend them. The ceramic pans weren't cheap ones either.
Beryl
KG Regular

Catherine maybe that is why I can't find a stir fry pan anywhere. Perhaps I would be better sticking (excuse the pun) to the old non stick. I do seem to go through them though.

Beryl.
clairelv1
KG Regular

funny!
The Mouse
KG Regular

My last-but-one frying pan was guaranteed for life. Unfortunately it died after only a couple of years, so end of guarantee. Well, that plus the fact that I hadn't kept the receipt!
In fact, it was still very non-stick, but had buckled, making it pretty useless on my ceramic hob.

I have a great wok that is still going strong after, at a guess, five years. I wish I'd bought two, 'cus I can't remember where I got it and even if I could the chances of them still selling the same thing when I eventually need to replace it would be pretty remote.
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Stephen
KG Regular

I hope to stick to my stainless steel pans. :wink:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

We also have Stainless Steel pans, but for frying ?

I have kept my receipts this time, the two new fry pans are ok so far though on one the coating on the outside is damaged by cleaning off some burnt stuff. The new baking trays are already showing signs they might fail within a year and I will return anything I bought that fails within warranty.

Going back, I think I have been using too high a temperature for non stick and wonder if this a case for most of us ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Well, my nice "new" ceramic frying pan's non stick coating lasted until my son's last visit and he had ruined it within a week. I think he over heated it :evil:

I hope my new stone coated one lasts a bit longer, it's very good so far. I'll have to hide it when he comes back again.
Beryl
KG Regular

I think you maybe right Richard with an H, I have now changed over to ceramic and use a lower heat and so far very pleased with them.

Beryl.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Maybe we've all been indoctrinated by Chinese wocking, I noticed the difference when I'm cooking with olive oil. If you you cook with olive oil it's better to cook on a low heat and many of the things I use olive oil with just lend themselves to low-and-slow.

Didn't I read somewhere that some oils heated to high temperature is going to kill you ? Mind you, I just re-read an article on drinking to much water at a time I've been told to drink more water.

And tomatoes, please, don't lets go there. I love tomatoes and they are probably the reason for all my inflammatory pain, when will this all stop I wonder.

I have neighbours who just eat raw food and organic. (That's what they say) both have had to use antibiotics even though they spent the last five years warning me why I shouldn't.

As it happens I haven't taken antibiotics for fifteen years other that what they may have pumped into me during hip replacements.

Erm, sorry.

I wandered again. (Grin)
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Richard I think I'm like you by having it too hot, but like to sear my meat first then turn it down. It is too much for ceramic, teflon or anything else - well excluding my well seasoned wok! (I worry about our spacecraft as Teflon is supposed to be from their research).

I cooked a big mass stew with dumplings during the week but when emptied casserole noted 2 bits of Le Creuset lining chipped. Done loads of cooking in it before without any problems & done nothing different this time. Not happy - they cost loads & don't have any receipts as have had them for quite a while! (Believe they have a life time guarantee but what's lifetime - ours or the pan exactly)?

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Richard I think I'm like you by having it too hot, but like to sear my meat first then turn it down.

Westi

Yes Westi, this where the problem lies. I also used to have a cast iron fry pan and steel wok that were both non stick from use and would remain non stick providing no washing up liquid or detergent of any kind was used to clean them.

The consequence of this was that those pans actually looked Iron Age in our nice pristine kitchen. Not only did those pans look horrible, they always smell of fat and looked like hell. I used to argue with my ex wife about her buggering up those pans, second time round I learnt it's better to avoid conflict and so we have, and many people have for the same reason, nice-tidy looking fry pans and woks that along with all the other deadly things we eat, drink and do, are slowly killing us.

I've been doing my own research, using Google (smile) and for two solid weeks. My research is based on others research which was based on research done by others who may have done some research. I won't share this research with you because you'll probably believe everything I have written then share it with the Internet.

Before I retired from sporting activity I had been approached by any number of students each year doing research into what made me able to do what I did. As it happens I didn't respond to any of those lazy-students who did their research without doing any research, just sending an e-mail out to a person and never moving off your bum is the current way of doing research for many students.

Then it gets published.

Back to non stick.

I am still using a Panasonic bread maker for raising dough made from wheat and bakers yeast, that non stick pan is still fabulously non stick after 18 years. Probably because it never got used for baking bread, just raising dough. Then I place the dough into a Lekue silicon baking thingy (Which is going to kill me) but I don't raised the oven temperature above 200c. I had the throw a previous silicon baking pan away because I always heated the oven to maximum before putting the dough in.

You can't and must not do it, because it'll kill you.
Richard.
Pawty
KG Regular

[quote="Ricard with an H"]

Didn't I read somewhere that some oils heated to high temperature is going to kill you ? Mind you, I just re-read an article on drinking to much water at a time I've been told to drink more water.

I think channel 4's 'food unwrapped' did something on this. Heating olive oil to high temperatures reseases some nasties (aldehydes) so for hot cooking you shouldn't use it. Although sunflower oil at high temperatures is apparently even worse! Butter and lard is best! Rape seed oil is also pretty good.
Beryl
KG Regular

Westi,

I have been using Le Creuset since the 70's. I still use the casserole but the saucepans I gave to my daughter when they became to heavy for my wrists. The first time she used them the linings chipped. I was told it was because she had filled them with cold water straight after using to soak. Going from hot to cold was the culprit. I never do this with any of my pans but maybe it is the same with the non stick to.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic