soup making

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi, belated thanks for the warning about garlic. I already posted that I'm not growing garlic this year because of other things going on though on the topic of soup.............

We used to use pressure cookers years ago until they went out of fashion because they ruined everything though for soup everything stays in the pot, I suppose ?

Am I to start using a pressure cooker again for soup ? I only ever use that relic for pre-cooking a ham.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
retropants
KG Regular

Hi Richard, I recently bought a new generation pressure cooker (last time I even heard of one mentioned was when my mother was cooking something in her 1970's prestige, and it blew boiling gravy all over the ceiling, this was in the 70's btw!) I love mine, they are far superior to the 70's models, new technology making them safer and more efficient, and far less hissy! I use mine for soup, casseroles, chili non carne, risottos and I'm going to try my green tomato chutney in it soon. Honestly, it doen't ruin anything, in fact most food tastes much richer and like it has been slow cooked for hours! I wish i had discovered it sooner. (I am not advertising here by the way!! :wink: )
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I love my pressure cooker too for soups and stews and just most veg. It is so quick and extremely easy to use. I've had it for five or six years now it is a Tefal Jamie Oliver one.

They are so much easier to use now than the old ones. I once was cooking beetroot and the valve blew out and I had to use an umbrella to get into the kitchen to turn the heat off as there was a beetroot fountain spraying the ceiling, walls and everything with boiling beetroot juice.

It took me a while to pluck up courage to buy a new one, but as I said they are much safer and more user friendly now.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'll stick with the old one that is as-new condition until I did some research and/or became swayed by the pimping.

You got me onto soup now and it's a good Cavelo Nero user. The dark green leaves lend themselves to soup because they are on the tough side if you pick the older leaves.

Last nights soup wasn't the same-old-same-old I have to make most of the time and it contained the usual onion garlic and oil, then came squishy tomatoes, kalamata olives, rice kale, tarragon, leeks and thats all I remember other than it was delicious and I got it down my favourite shirt.

I'll wear a bib in future. :D Us old-uns need a bib. :(
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Anabelle
KG Regular

Jane_A wrote:Good day, recently I start to use multi cooker (pressure cooker) Redmond 110 for making our routine meal including soup. It really helps to make a perfect food and save your time as well.

So what's the difference between a pressure cooker and a multi cooker???
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Anabelle wrote:So what's the difference between a pressure cooker and a multi cooker???

I haven't even heard of a, "Multi-Cooker". The cynic in me says this is a re-invention of a pressure cooker and at a time when I'm being encourage to eat everything raw but don't have the teeth unless it's all grated.

Someone offered me sticks of raw carrot, quarter sliced. With slices of raw beetroot and other raw offerings, I could't eat it. If I put the same carrots and stuff through a grater or one of those clever Julien-type peelers then I could manage.

Back to the point though, whilst some marketing crooks are at-it convincing us to use a pressure cooker the other camp are convincing us to eat raw food but they aren't selling anything.

What do you think ?
Richard.
Anabelle
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:
Anabelle wrote:So what's the difference between a pressure cooker and a multi cooker???

I haven't even heard of a, "Multi-Cooker". The cynic in me says this is a re-invention of a pressure cooker and at a time when I'm being encourage to eat everything raw but don't have the teeth unless it's all grated.

Someone offered me sticks of raw carrot, quarter sliced. With slices of raw beetroot and other raw offerings, I could't eat it. If I put the same carrots and stuff through a grater or one of those clever Julien-type peelers then I could manage.

Back to the point though, whilst some marketing crooks are at-it convincing us to use a pressure cooker the other camp are convincing us to eat raw food but they aren't selling anything.

What do you think ?

lol :lol:
As far as I understand multi means combination
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Would people be more inclined to buy a pan if it was called a multi cooker. You can make soup, steam, saute, boil, fry etc. Now we are encouraged to buy soup makers, steamers, separate things to make poached eggs, boiled eggs and omelettes.
Funny also how many functions a knife has that have been taken over by special gadgets.
And what about cup cake makers? What is wrong with a bun tin and an oven? You can cook lots of things at the same time if you have the oven on
to economise on electricity. Is that also a multi-cooker?
retropants
KG Regular

:) indeed PP :)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

One pot cooking is something I'm getting much better at though I don't often entertain these days and that does make a difference.

Our pressure cooker isn't that old, it's stainless-steel. Almost identical to the the aluminium one I owned for many years that spent it's time over-cooking just about everything. This pressure cooker is also a multi-cooker if you use your imagination but I can't do toast on it.

We have at least two other gadgets for poaching eggs, I always revert to a frying pan with water and a little vinegar. We have a bread maker though come the time to make bread I revert to a bowl and the airing cupboard.

We had a motorhome for a few years now and whilst I don't profess to being an expert we have become quite good at knocking some decent food together on gas and 12volts with one or two none stick pans and a kettle.

The marketing people are winning.
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

There's a challenge Richard! A pressure cooker that makes toast! (maybe start small, everything to smell of toast initially - or bacon!) :D :D

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Huge smile from me Westi.

I'm a complete sucker for kitchen gadget stores, my latest find is like a potato/carrot peeler but it scores the peeling and produces julienne type strips which is brilliant for carrot and beetroot salad or just for adding carrot strips to soup. Ours came from a Sainsbury store.

Our box-type grater with sloping sides is due to go into the metal-recycling bin now I have two different graters from 'Stellar' and they have a couple more options. Fantastically sharp, quality kit and with a protective cover that snaps on so don't throw it away like packaging.

How about that soo-vide thingy :D that Heston was fronting ? I tried that method of cooking by vacuuming a plastic bag with fish in it then slow/low cooking. It does work very well but I dont have room to store more gadgets that I rarely use even if they do work very well.

Cooking for one tests your ingenuity.
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

I really want one of those knives that cut cucumbers & things into little ripples then will be happy for a bit. Just got a magimix mini as my old magimix is well over 30 years old & I need a forklift to get it out of the cupboard!

Sucker for a kitchen shop me - very expensive obsession compared to gardening. (Well sometimes)! :?

Westi
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Before you start buying any more gadgets, read this :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-29430674
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

There are always going to be gadgets-for-the sake-of-it and we do have a few of those.

I just bought a stone baking plate for making pizza, I already used it for warming wraps and it may double with the metal plate she uses to make Welsh cakes though certainly neither is replicated by a frying pan.

Anyone else use a stone plate ?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic