Red currants

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I ve just picked a big crop of redcurrants which by their nature are quite sharp in flavour and am now pondering what I can do with them that doesn,t involve large amounts of sugar which I'd like to cut down on if possible.
In the past I,ve mixed them with other soft fruits to make compotes or fruit syrups but wonder if anyone has some other ideas. It's going to be the same with blackberries later in the summer I think!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They make a very palatable wine, but it won't cut down on the sugar.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Primrose,
freeze them and use them in lamb stews in the winter, a good handful in with the meat when it starts to stew and a few more just before serving for colour and effect. Or shove them in a tagine instead of apricots.
Throw some into your breakfast porridge about two minutes before it is cooked so they thaw and pop.
A tangy ingredient is a winter coleslaw perhaps?
regards Sally Wright.
Primrose
KG Regular

Unusual ideas Sally, especially the lamb stew. Thank you. Almost makes me look forward to winter again so I can give it a try!
RexysKitchen
KG Regular

The lamb stew idea sounds really nice. I might have to get some for this myself :)
Beryl
KG Regular

It does involve sugar but red currant and mint jelly is a delicious alternative to plain jelly and a good dollop added to gravy or any red meat stew/casserole gives a rich gravy.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic