A garlic and tomato recipe. Almogrote Gomera.

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm going to try to adhere to the recipe text but after two sessions with this mouth-watering sauce I'm bound to add my own comments. The recipe comes from a small bible to garlic lovers who may be desperate to re-create some of the classics like the Canarian wrinkled potatoes served with mojo-rojo-sauce. I buy this stuff from a Spanish deli because I just cannot replicate the taste.

If you love garlic and cheese this is for you though the predominate flavours in my attempts have been a balance between tomato, garlic, cheese and chillies.

I'll replicate the text:

The taste of the following sauce is determined to a large extent by the cheese, it should be a hard-mature cheese. On La Gomera the almagrote is prepared with goats cheese.

300 grams of hard cheese
3/4 garlic cloves
2 Ripe beef tomatoes (I used what I had)
Chillies
Salt (Depending on the cheese)
100ml. olive oil

Finely grate the cheese.
Press the garlic.
Blanch the tomatoes, peel, de-seed and chop finely.
Mix it all up and pour oil in like your doing a mayonnaise.

Chunks of bread, a couple of glasses of wine and I can eat the whole bowl full then stink of garlic for two days because I added extra garlic.
Attachments
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG (124.04 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

That sounds right up my street. Will try that out when we next have my mates around for our Ladies Wot Lunch meet ups! Might tone down the garlic as usually someone working next day though - patients might not find 2nd hand garlic appealing! :)

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

To be perfectly honest Westi, this is all about garlic.

If you tone down on garlic you end up with chilli, cheese and tomato in oil. Because I usually like my garlic more subtle I tend to slice or chop it into things but it didn't work for this sauce.

I also regularly make those wrinkled salty potatoes when I can get hold of small potatoes, they go nicely with mojo rojo.

Mo can tell I've been eating garlic or onions days after the event, she dislikes the smell and taste yet she'll eat food cooked with garlic and onion providing the garlic isn't predominant.

Last time I went to the doctors surgery I sat next to a person who smelt, we probably both smelt but he was wearing dirty clothes and didn't brush his teeth.

Garlic is good for us.

Right now Mo is away on study so it's garlic, garlic, garlic with a little garlic. All grown on cow poo and stinking comfrey with maggots swimming in it.

Can I invite you for supper ? :D

Even my dog gets garlic but it is vet-aproved capsules.

Erm, how do you make garlic spray or garlic to pour on the soil ? I can experiment but I'm sure someone is an expert so why risk making mistakes.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Have you tried roasting the garlic then sqeezing it out of it's skin instead of using raw?
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I've never tried that Ron, I have thrown whole cloves in with a roast or casserole but never used roasted garlic in the way you describe.
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Try it roasted Richard! Either just cut whole bulb in half & wrap in foil or just individual cloves thrown in the tin! Griddle some bread ,drizzle on some olive oil then spread on the garlic squeezed out of their skin. Very quick - very tasty as you get another layer of flavour.

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Lovely and thank you, the thought has me salivating even at 6.30 in the morning. I often do garlic soup which uses a whole bulb but prepared by slicing and crushing. I must try this soup with a roasted bulb, some celery leak and potato.

Very warming and probably healthy eating but Mo won't eat it for fear of being avoided at work.
Richard.
RexysKitchen
KG Regular

Roasted garlic is delicious! You definitely need to give it a try :)
Westi
KG Regular

Have you tried it yet Richard? Or do you still have friends & family avoiding you? :D :D

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I haven't tried it yet Westi though roasted garlic is in the pipe-line and I'm slowly studying for ideas.

As I'm cooking for one most of the time I'm always looking for quick and easy ideas or recipes that lend themselves to short periods of storage in the fridge. There was a recipe that used roasted garlic and tomatoes on toast, this got the juices flowing in my mouth though I haven't tried it yet and it did seem like a lot of faffing about.

I'm not a hobby eater, in fact because of my orthopeadic problems and use of transdermal-opiates to control pain and keep me active I tend to risk under-eating most of the time when I need more food because I'm so active.

Stinking of garlic isn't really a concern unless I'm about to visit a dentist or one of my annual visits to the doctors surgery, it's a respect-thing.

I'm getting bored with my usual summer use of garlic in a side salad, after summer there are soups and other cooked items that lend themselves but for the time-being I'm about to try tomatoes and roasted garlic on toast which appears to be a copy of a flat-bread I once had from M&S that had all those flavours but not enough garlic.

I'm also about to try some roasted garlic with those Canary Island wrinkled potatoes, once cooked the small salty potatoes can be stored then warmed in the oven because they need to be eaten dry. Right now small Maris peer potatoes work well so check-out this Google search >>>>>> http://www.google.co.uk/#q=Papas+arrugadas <<<<<<<<<<<

My recipe will revolve around the garlic and tomatoes roasted then blended or smashed with a pestle and mortar then eaten with the lovely salty potatoes. By the way, those salty potatoes go very nicely as a side-dish to any summer eating and I think they taste better cold rather than warm which is how they've always been served to me on the islands.
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

When I was a kid & the money ran out a the end of the week we always had tomato, onion & garlic on toast (Well toast on the side really) - seemed to be what we always had left & it was my favourite meal. Loads of black pepper - yummy!

Thinking about it now I'd throw in some herbs, although we did have dried parsley in it. :)

Westi
Westi
Lauralou
KG Regular

Actually sounds quite lovely Westi :)
Sheppie
KG Regular

I am sitting at work and salivating on my keyboard, counting hours when I can go home and make this wonderful garlic sauce. Do you think it would be good with some pasta too?
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I have this garlic sauce on toast, with pasta, ladled onto just about anything but honestly you really do need to buy the canarian stuff

Either locate your own Spanish deli or just Google search until you find some, I just cannot make it like they do.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic