Healthy and balanced diet

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Richard, it has absolutely nothing to do with others how your routine works. If that routine works best for you, stick to it, as no one really knows how another persons deals with things. I'm often in bed before nine, to try and get a little relief from my back and hip pain, what often causes some funny looks.....but i do like to be up and about by about 4.30am....which other folk find ridiculous....

So the way i look at it is, if it's not affecting anyone in a bad way, it's just tough... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Marigold
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:I'm with you on that, at every opportunity someone will roll their eyes at my regular drinking.

I get up in the morning and make good coffee, two cups. Occasionally a third if I get a visitor who is desperate for good coffee. In the afternoon/evening depending on how sore I feel I have a beer and always wine with my food. I never get pissed, I get more tired and go to bed early which is a good way of not getting pissed if the wine is good.

My parents were always drunk because they didn't know about enough, two sisters and an eldest daughter never learnt about enough then want to speak on the phone when the bottle is empty.

I set my own standards years ago now some ass-hole wants me to stop but it's ok for everyone to take those other drugs that cause irreparable damage and the pharmaceuticals stop the government vehicles making a fuss.

I think a nice drink makes me happy, being able to walk and dig and do things also makes me happy. The doing has worn me out over the years, people who sat and got fat said I did too much and that's why I hurt all the time.

No one has an answer that holds water so I'll have a glass or two of whatever takes my fancy this afternoon and I'll be in bed between 6/8 which is another problem I have but it works. I love going to bed early, getting of my legs and reading the papers until my other drugs kick in and I sleep.

Whatever works for you! Great! I stopped listening to what others think I should be doing with MY LIFE when I finally got the M.E diagnosis. To this day I have never found a single dr who believes in the illness or has any ideas about it. So it really is up to me now. I spend most of each day abed as that way I can write and knit which helps my family working overseas with those who have truly nothing. Day before an outing ( which I revel in after years of being housebound) I stay abed and the day after no choice! BUT my life has a structure and a meaning. So I do what I can, eat what I need and what my system can cope with, take what meds I need ( pain and nausea relief) Love reading and we have a grand mobile library here that lets you take as many books as you want for as long as you want, so I stay abed reading and knitting as I read. Then do what work I can. Average age for death of M.E folk is 57 and I am nearly 73.. Live each day fully... Oh I binned all the meds drs wanted me to take and the irony is that codeine is the only painkiller that works and we now have a nanny state war on it. I also refuse flu vaccinations as I have a greatly impaired immune system We make choices!
Marigold
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Morning Richard, it has absolutely nothing to do with others how your routine works. If that routine works best for you, stick to it, as no one really knows how another persons deals with things. I'm often in bed before nine, to try and get a little relief from my back and hip pain, what often causes some funny looks.....but i do like to be up and about by about 4.30am....which other folk find ridiculous....

So the way i look at it is, if it's not affecting anyone in a bad way, it's just tough... :)

lol.. I also am up even before 4 am! When I wake in the night I get up, make coffee, call family overseas... read and knit... I close the house down around 4 pm and the few folk who matter know never to come near after 4 pm. I live way out in the mountains way away from others so it is easy for me. We can stay active and fit by resting when we need to. Pushing too hard is damaging to old bones. So let folk laugh.. one day they too will be old IF they are lucky. Typing abed having fed my brood, checked the garden and walked the wee dog some..
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks for vote of confidence on my sleeping habits, they raise more eyebrows than my boozing.

I've been taking codien/paracetamol for many years, recently I started to wean off it. This was more to find if it was doing any good, I got down from three doses in 24 hours (4 is the maximum) to one dose by splitting tablets. This drug helps keep me active along with a transdermal opiate and NSAIDs.

All my drug taking is at a minimum to keep me moving-and-doing things, I'm not boozing now and I have never been a daytime drinker but I do love a drink in the evening. Sometimes I sit on my kitchen garden areas in the sun with a bottle of beer. Lovely.

Today might be one of those days, the wind has dropped so it'll get warm later. I have lots of back-hurting weeding to do but it doesn't hurt until I've finished because I'm on a roll.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

I put a couple of drops of vanilla in my rhubarb which seems to lessen the amount of sugar needed. I also use granulated sugar substitute sometimes. But you could try natural sugar substitutes, (guava I think is one), or maybe honey?

Westi
Westi
Marigold
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:We have some forced rhubarb ready for eating. The only thing I don,t like about rhubarb (and gooseberries) is the large amount of sugar required to make it palatable. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

It is what it is and the chemical and other sugarsubs have bad things.. I do not demonise sugar though. My preserves are less sugar than the shop ones and as a result you can taste the fruit and not just the sugar. I tend to merge flavours so that does alleviate the high sugar needed for rhubarb; combine it with eg raspberry which is a sweeter fruit That is an amazing combination by the way, call it rhuberry!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'll try that Westi, I picked all the lovely pink forced rhubarb that had grown and we had more than we needed for the rhubarb cake/crumble. I need to reduce the remaining rhubarb so I can store it for other desserts.

She made this massive cake, we had a portion each but the top part with rhubarb in was doughy so she's gone to work for the week and left me with all this cake. And I'm not a sweet tooth type.

We only have two of those clay forcing pots so I covered another clump with a green plastic tub, the stalks got light through the plastic and were red rather than pink. I do some daft things sometimes, in hindsight I should have used an old upturned dustbin. The good thing about those expensive clay forcing pots is the wind has never been strong enough to blow one over and we get westerlies/south-westerlies right off the Irish sea.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've never seen the point of forcing rhubarb. The Timperley Early starts producing in February and is fast growing and tender. I like the red stems and it is already 3 ft tall and 6 ft across so a bit bigger than my forcing pot (which I use on the sea kale)

They say a couple of sprigs of sweet sicely add sweetness to sour fruits so you can reduce the sugar. I'll test it out when the sweet sicely gets a bit bigger. Stevia has the same effect but I haven't got a plant at the moment. Doesn't adding ginger also balance the sourness a bit too. I'll try the vanilla next time it sounds a good combination. I stewed a pan of rhubarb with demerara sugar yesterday and used some in the base of a vanilla sponge pudding which was delicious if not particularly healthy :D
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome Daniel!

As growers we are all eaters of our crops. (A lot of my crops don't even make it home from the allotments as I graze)! The value of fruit & vegetables is still being discovered & personally I believe we haven't even scratched the surface of the real benefits. I still enjoy some naughty things now & again - today was cornish cream fudge. Oops!

I've tried lots of things (not fads), like low GI etc but my heart, excuse the pun, goes back to the Mediterranean diet of fresh vegetables & fruit with some protein, olive oil etc. And like you I'm an advocate of water & not the fancy stuff particularly.

You look like you're a long way from us - do you grow as well? Would be interested to hear about your specific challenges.

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

The cardiac nurse told me I should be on a Mediterranean diet,San Miguel,esterella ,and sangria sounds ok I think I can manage it
Westi
KG Regular

:D :D Robo!

I'm sure she meant that with a wee bowl of olives & sitting under a citrus to get you closer to your 5 a day!

Westi
Westi
Kate Holloway
KG Regular

Elton wrote:Eat healthy and balanced diet to maintain a healthy body weight.
Don't eat too much fats, fatty, and junk foods these can raise the cholesterol level.
Eat more natural and organic protein foods i.e eggs, fish, meat, yogurt, cheese, banana, sweet potato, beans, and rice etc. to gain your muscular weight.

Thanks for such tips. Also I try to drink water, nearly 8 glasses during a day. Frankly speaking, it helps me to be in normal state.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic