Apple Crisps

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I have lots of surplus apples which have been given to me and wonder if there is a healthy way of quickly turning some of them into Apple Crisps, as a substitute for the many potato ones I seem to eat my way through at this time of year. Any suggestions apart from the longer route of drying them in the oven?
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Vague memory from somewhere that you can make crisps quickly in a microwave? Brain fading out now.....zzzzzz
melving.crane
KG Regular

Here is how you can do the Apple crisp:

Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Thinly slice the apple through the core – use a mandolin, if you have one, to get thin slices. Arrange the slices on a baking tray lined with parchment and bake for 40 mins. Cool until crisp.

Method credit goes to: bbcgoodfood
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for that. Surplus apples have now all been eaten but will file it away for next surplus
melving.crane
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Thanks for that. Surplus apples have now all been eaten but will file it away for next surplus

Hopefully for next surplus this recipe will work for you.
Primrose
KG Regular

Do the apples actually go "crispy"? When they are dried in a hydrator I think they go to a leathery chewy texture?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They do go crisp, but you have to watch them carefully or they burn. I made some today and the very thin ones cooked nicely. Unfortunately I didn't keep my eye on the thicker pieces that I returned to the oven and they went from ok to burnt rather quickly.

They tasted very nice though so I'm going to try another batch, cut them more evenly, cook them on a slightly lower heat and not get distracted when they are nearly ready.
Primrose
KG Regular

Plum Pudding. What kind of apples do you use? Cooking or eating varieties? I know if you stew Bramleys they dissolve.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic