Too Many Tomatoes!

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

More recipes needed! Got soup++, pasta sauce++, some very dodgy tomato sauce - (strangely orange even though toms are very ripe). Can't be too bulky in the freezer as that is full as well!

HELP!!! :D

Westi x
Westi
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

These are some of the ways I've been using this year's bumper harvest.

Tomato Relish
1.5 kg firm, ripe, skinned tomatoes
900 g chopped onions
6 dried chillies, de-seeded
5-6 green peppers, de-seeded
1 tsp salt
900 g white sugar
90 g Demerara sugar
25 g fresh grated ginger
2 cloves garlic
600 ml white vinegar

Put onions, pepper, and then tomato into blender and chop finely.
Place into pan with all ingredients except the vinegar.
Cook about ½ hour; not too reduced.
Add 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with a little lemon juice and water.
Add the vinegar and cook for another 15 min or so to reduce.
Bottle into warm jars.

Tomato Chutney
450 ml pickling malt vinegar
675 g green or red tomatoes, chopped
450 g cooking apples, peeled & chopped
225g onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1½ tsp salt
100 g sultanas
2.5 cm piece fresh root ginger, grated
400g Demerara sugar

Place all ingredients except sugar in a large pan.
Bring to boil and simmer gently for about 20 min until vegetables are soft.
Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hr, until chutney is a thick pulpy consistency.
Bottle into warm jars.

You can also add a kick by including 3 or 4 deseeded, finely chopped chillies to the ingredients before the first simmer.

The Ultimate Tomatoes on Toast
Thickly slice tomatoes, (then slice as many again as they are so-o-o-o more-ish), into a lightly oiled roasting tin.
Sprinkle liberally with freshly ground pepper and salt and drizzle with a little more oil. Add a few chopped herbs if desired.
Place in the oven for about 40-60 minutes at 160C, then place on hot toast really thickly and enjoy!
Westi
KG Regular

Thank you Fred! Completely forgot chutney & have loads of bottles!

Totally agree about roasted tomatoes on toast! :P

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

If I want a really quick supper I don,t even bother to roast my tomatoes. - just fry them in a saucepan with a little olive oil and possibly a couple of chopped spring onions, until the juices start to run, and serve with a couple of crispy grilled bacon rashers. It,s a simple enough meal but In the tomato glut season I could eat it almost every day with a piece of toast to mop up the juices.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I have to do something with my tomatoes, I have as many green as I have on their way to ripe.

I did do a roasted tomato recipe that turned out very nice as a pizza base but I agree that frying in a little oil is what i'll do next time rather than keep setting the smoke alarms off.

What I can recommend but I lost the recipe although there are many to choose from online is a red-onion marmalade using a whole bottle of red wine, not much of that left because I can't keep away from it with a bit of nice local bread and cheese then more red wine. Us retired have a reputation to adhere to. :D
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
tracie
KG Regular

I also have too many tomato's and this is what I do.

largest roasting tin you have, pile in all of your tomatoes, cutting the larger ones in half. Slice 4-5 cloves of garlic and add to the tomatoes, add large glug of olive oil and a good grind of sea salt, and good quantity of basil, stir and put in the oven at about 180.

After about half hour take out of oven and mash up a bit with a potato masher, it will be very liquid. Put back in the oven and cook for a further 1 and half hours ish till you have a thickish mush.

I freeze this in small flat boxes from Lakeland that do not take up too much room in the freezer and use it through the year in stews, casseroles, and anywhere else that you would usually use tinned toms. It is FAB. It is also good defrosted on toast with mozzarella yum yum.
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Westi
KG Regular

Just found a good website with lots of tomato recipes if anyone interested.
Taste.com.au - actually found lots of interesting things by just searching ingredient - whoop, just like having another big cookbook! :D

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I think some of us might need a prescription for tomato poisoning soon at this rate :lol:
Westi
KG Regular

I have moments of thought like that as well but then remember the years of blight ruining my crop - & search another recipe! :D Still have some beefsteak actually ripening on the plant in the greenhouse - so fingers crossed!

Westi
Westi
ken
KG Regular

Very late in coming in on this discussion - apologies. Two things. 1st, Simpson's Seeds do a Tomato Book (one on chillies, too), which combines good growing advice with a good collection of customers' recipes, including a few for cooking with green tomatoes. (Fried Green Tomatoes, and Green Tomato Jam, from memory). Also, Piedmont Peppers is a very good and simple recipe, which also helps cope with a glut of peppers if you have one: Cut a red pepper vertically in half and remove seeds and pith. Crush a garlic clove and divide between two pepper halves. Add a little olive oil to each half. Then put a whole, peeled plum tomato or two smaller tomatoes in each half, and roast for about 45 minutes in an oven-proof dish at around 190. Remove from oven and eat hot or cold - but crossing two anchovy fillets across each pepper half really boosts the final result.
melving.crane
KG Regular

Let me know your location and I'll come there and take away all of those extra tomatoes you've in store. I love fresh tomato sauce and where I live it's very expensive here to buy tomatoes.
alan refail
KG Regular

melving.crane wrote:Let me know your location and I'll come there and take away all of those extra tomatoes you've in store. I love fresh tomato sauce and where I live it's very expensive here to buy tomatoes.

There won't be that many spare tomatoes here in mid-January :lol:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
melving.crane
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:
melving.crane wrote:Let me know your location and I'll come there and take away all of those extra tomatoes you've in store. I love fresh tomato sauce and where I live it's very expensive here to buy tomatoes.

There won't be that many spare tomatoes here in mid-January :lol:

:cry: no worries, do you have tomato produce farms?
sophie1511
KG Regular

I personally try to dodge tomatoes as much as I can because i am not a fan, but if its in a paste or a sauce form where I can't see it I have no problem with it :D.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic