Waxed discs and cellophane covers

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I have just been cooking and potting some rhubarb chutney and have dutifully covered them with waxed discs and then cellophane covers. But why? I use second hand commercial jars (properly washed and heated) which have very good screw covers, so why am I still using waxed discs and cellophane tops?
ashb
KG Regular

maybe youve lost the plot :lol: :lol: my dear mother-in-law
makes chutney and jams and she uses old jars also and she
has never had any problems.
ash
its nice to be important
but its more important to be nice
scooter 2008
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Monika,
there is a caveat to re-using old lids. Chutnies and pickles should only be packed into jars with lids which have been used for P's, C's, mustard or mayo etc as they have lids which have been designed to withstand the acids in the contents. Jam jar lids will rust and spoil the contents as they have not been made to cope with the acids.
Regards Sally Wright.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Shhhhhh don't tell everyone, the wax on the wax discs melts and forms an airtight barrier on the top of the gloop. Cheers, Tony.
Westi
KG Regular

Can I have your recipe for the chutney? Please!

Westi
Westi
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I have used screw top jam jars too, with no ill effects don't overfill the jars though. the seal is usually pretty good once the stuff cools you can hear lids pop sealed as they cool. If you do use the waxed papers and cellophane cut out some round bits of material with pinking shears to cover cellophane, as with rough handling the cellophane can easily be accidentally pierced. Looks pretty as gifts that way too.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Monika
KG Regular

Rhubarb Chutney recipe, as requested, Westi. It's from "The Garden to Kitchen Expert", one of the Hessayon books:

Let this mature for a few months in the pots. It will then be ready for you to enjoy with ham, cheese, chicken or pork.

1.5kg rhubarb
500g onions
2 cooking apples
5 cloves garlic
1 tbsp fresh chopped ginger
1.5 litres white vinegar
900g soft light brown sugar
500g sultanas
1 tbsp salt (I used slightly less because it seemed a lot)
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Put chopped rhubarb and peeled, chopped onions, apples, garlic and ginger in a preserving pan with vinegar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients and stir over very low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat a little and simmer for an hour, or until thick, stirring occasionally. Pot.
Monika
KG Regular

Thanks for the reply to my queries, too, about the waxed discs etc.

I usually use the screw tops over the cellophane, NB, to protect the cellophane and also when the jar is in use, but I can see the reasoning about the specially treated lids, Sally! The trouble is that even dishwasher-washed glass jars which have contained pickles, chutneys (and honey!) never seem to lose the smell of their original contents completely, I find.
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers Monika - have excellent rhubarb this year & love pickles! Win Win I'd say! :D

x Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

If you use a lot of wax discs and cellophane covers Lakeland are the best place to buy. They also stock the pickle proof screw tops which will fit l lb and 2 lb jars.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic