Chicken in the slow cooker

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

Today I cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker. My daughter told me she had done this three weeks ago. So I thought I would try it. My goodness me it was so tasty I will never go back to cooking it in the oven.

First I put whole carrots and onions in the base then I washed the chicken and dried it. Then I put some dry Ras El Hanout which is a classic moroccan rub for lamb fish or chicken in a cup with a drizzel of olive oil, mixed it together and then brushed it over the chicken.

Put the chicken on top of the veggies (in future I will be using garlic, shallots, carrots and potatoes) with no liquid and put the machine on high for two hours, then on low for about four depending on the size of the chicken. It made its own liquid which cooked the veggies and was so tender it fell off the bone.

Our evening meal was divine tonight. Normally we roast our chickens and have a temperature probe in the chicken which tells us when it is cooked. Fail safe way of cooking which does not waste electricity. Our slow cooker will be the way to go in future. I normally only cook casseroles in the slow cooker but might now start trying other meats.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

nice with smoked garlic too...yummy
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Catherine
KG Regular

Thank you for that NB I thought this was going to be my first post without comments. It isonly recently I have heard of smoked garlic, where do you get it from. I have seen it in several recipes in the last two weeks.
alan refail
KG Regular

Sorry, Catherine, you will not woo me off a plump, young free-range chicken roasted for an hour and twenty minutes at 200C. Juicy flesh and crispy skin - and something to cut for at least two more meals, as well as chicken stock for another two meals.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

I agree with Alan - crispy chicken skin can't be beaten but I do like the idea of cooking the bird whole as it would be more moist and I do like the sound of it falling off the bone and just begging for some chickpeas and lemon with those spices.

Westi
Westi
Catherine
KG Regular

I love a good roast chicken, but since the timer on my oven has broken and is more expensive to replace than is worth it and I have to be in the house to do any roasting this has to work for me at the moment. I agree with chickpeas and lemons more spices I am going to try Harissa paste next time.
dirt-digger
KG Regular

roast chicken in the oven for me every time
with butter and sage under the skin
yum yum piges bum that the one for my tum
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic