Drying bay leaves

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Just been given a bag of fresh prunings from somebody's bay tree. Always used commercial purchased dried ones before.
Do I dry them slowly in the sunshine and then store in an airtight jar?
Any other special precautions or actions to be taken ?
robo
KG Regular

Primrose I've never dried bay leaves but I would think if you hung them in a dry airy place they should be ok , I've recently built a gazebo down the plot ,I've covered the top with a clear tarpaulin then I put cane rolls on the top to stop the trap bouncing up and down in the wind , it is the perfect place to dry things no side walls and a waterproof top
Monika
KG Regular

Primrose, don't dry them at all! Wipe the leaves with a slightly damp piece of kitchen towel, dry them quickly and freeze them loose on a baking tray or similar, then pop them into a plastic bag for the freezer. Their aroma is preserved much better than by drying.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thank you Monika. It would not have occurred to me to freeze the leaves. They were pruned yesterday apparently and are wilting already but I will prune a little of the base of the prunings and put them in water overnight to try and revive them and freeze them tomorrow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic