Sooty grapes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG Steve
KG Editor

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning up the grapes I have just harvested from my polytunnel? It's my own fault - many of them are covered with sooty mould from an infestation of aphids that I never did get around to spraying. Now the berries are covered and it will take an age to wash them all before we juice/eat them.

Any ideas?
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Westi
KG Regular

Lucky you Captain - proper grapes! Birds got mine but they are outdoors and were tiny but great in with the berries with some yoghurt as very sweet! What about just soaking the grapes in some washing up liquid in the sink, then rinsing & drying? I get it on my brussels tops & other brassicas some years (whitefly), & I do this & it works pretty well. I take the leaves off so can give it a swirl around so this might not get the edges of the grapes near the stem.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained though!

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Maybe try soaking a bunch in water for a while, then rinsing them off with a stiff spray, from a hose nozzle....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
KG Steve
KG Editor

Thanks chaps - I'll give your suggestions a try. Has to be worth it as I'm rather pleased with the crop this year. The vine is about four years onld now and it has been steadily producing more bunches each year. Not enough to make wine though ot I'd send you a bottle for your trouble! :lol:
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic