Onion Skins Drying

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Finally got the schedule!

Onions - Either above or below 250 grams & 3 on a plate - does that mean I won't be able to use rings?
Cabbage - just 1!
Vase of one species flower - one of my roses has gone mad. (I think my dahlias look good but we have several dahlia anoraks so maybe not)
Mixed Vase
+/- French & Runner Beans - 4 on a plate.

That's about it for me, but maybe will dig one potato plant as only need 3 of those as well.

Westi
PS: Whole £5 for winner this year, was only £3 last time, could re-invest any winnings & try for another bottle of Ribena in the raffle maybe? :D
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

If it's on a plate, Westi, they are usually exhibited on a bed of dry sand so that they stay upright on their knobbly bottoms (apologies).
Westi
KG Regular

Well here's the progress of the onions. They are browner than started but one is still a bit pale at the bottom. There is only 6 grams difference in them & only 1 cm in width. Show is next Saturday, so still time for it to darken a bit more. My cabbage is just holding, but getting nibbles in the outer leaves from something, not cabbage white as perfectly round holes, but that's fine so long as head doesn't split.

Westi
PTDC0098.JPG
PTDC0098.JPG (170.14 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
Westi
John
KG Regular

Hello Westi
Excellent set of three there - you could be in with a good chance of a red card for a 1st. Difficult to see but I would trim any dried roots to a minimum but be careful not to damage the bottom of the bulb - carefully remove any trapped soil. Some rings - even made from a loo roll tube - will set them at their best.
Good luck.
John

PS Get everything ready the night before so that you can concentrate on staging your exhibits. Most shows don't allow trimming and so on anyway in the show hall.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks John!

I wasn't sure how much to trim the roots, I take some more off. Old toothbrush to them as well as there is still a fair bit of dirt despite the teasing out with a toothpick. I'll go for the loo roll rings, but put them on the sand as well as schedule says sand.

Just to support it and as I'll be down there, I'll try to rustle up some runners, maybe some raspberries & blackberries & a mixed vase, but will see what is available. Still fingers crossed for the big cabbage holding, but have another smaller one that looks pretty perfect as well.

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

If schedule says sand do not use loo roll rings. NAS. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic