Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

WestHamRon
KG Regular

I first bought these about 4 years ago and waited until they were bright yellow, as per the photo on the seed packet.
They seemed quite bland, as though they should be an accompianament to a Doner Kebab on a Friday night.
This year they have become a lot hotter ( we have moved from Eastbourne to Grays).
Now I have a red one and am very afraid !
Has anyone had red ones and can advise how hot they are /
Thanks in advance.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'd proceed with caution. I bought some medium hot wax peppers, supposed to be sweet with a hint of heat and it was like playing Russian roulette. Peppers from the same plant were all different ranging from mild, pleasantly sweet and tangy, to eye watering blow your head off hot.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

We ate it today.
No heat whatsoever ! :lol:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning WestHamRon, that reminds me of when i was a boy and the great anticipation of lighting a big firework, only for it to hae a short fizzle and then nothing... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's a shame. At least mine were exciting if a little dangerous.
peter
KG Regular

Is "Hot Wax" a reference to the appearance rather than the heat?
As in they're ridged with sunken grooves and twisted.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

These are the only variety of chillI grow these days. I've had about eight plants this year and don't pick them until they're deep red (80% of mine have cropped now).

We don't like a very hot chilli so these have suited us but every so often we seem to get a rogue fruit which blows your head off, so can echo Plum Pudding's experience. Mostly they are mild to medium heat. I can't explain why we suddenly get one which is very different. These days we freeze them until the last one has cropped and then turn them into chilli paste which we freeze in small containers and use as needed. . That way we don't run the risk of accidentally rubbing eyes after having chopped one up, and if there's a rogue super hot one, the heat gets blended in with the milder ones to make it bearable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic