Broad beans and cauliflowers

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

Today I picked 3.5 kg broad beans before shelling and had 790g beans. I have also picked 10 cauliflowers heads which are all ready at the same time, they are F1 seeds. Next year I won't be sowing F1 seeds because I didn't realise that they will all be ready at the same time, silly me. I want them ready at different times. This happened last year but I didn't click about the seeds.

Our dwarf beans and climbing beans are really slow to get going this year.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Catherine wrote:Today I picked 3.5 kg broad beans before shelling and had 790g beans. I have also picked 10 cauliflowers heads which are all ready at the same time, they are F1 seeds. Next year I won't be sowing F1 seeds because I didn't realise that they will all be ready at the same time, silly me. I want them ready at different times. This happened last year but I didn't click about the seeds.

Our dwarf beans and climbing beans are really slow to get going this year.

Why don't you plant them in succession rather than all at once?
Catherine
KG Regular

WHR I do sow in succession, this year I sowed these 10 seeds, not expecting them all to come up. But they did and I have a problem with throwing seedlings away :oops: So I put them all in, closer than the recommended spacings and then sowed some more of a different type of cauli. These are coming ready at different times so they are okay. (I have another 10 caulis getting ready to pick)

Last year I grew a Cauli called Cheesy F1 they have been the best cauli I have ever grown. They were all immaculate, perfectly shaped cauliflowers and all 8 were ready together.

I am not complaining as I just freeze them anyway. I was just saying !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic