Cucumelons

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Does anyone know how big the fruit of these are supposed to get? I've lots of fruit but all are minuscule, however some are softening which I thought would be an indication of ripening. When I say minuscule I mean about
1.5 cm long & about .5 cm in girth - and that's probably exaggerated! :wink:

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi. As these are rather a newcomer novelty I suspect not many people will yet have much experience of growing them. i. don't know anybody who has opted to try them yet. You may have to act as our Forum Guinea pig!

When I read about them I wasn't sure whether one was supposed to serve them in a salad like a cucumber, or in a fruit salad like a melon!
robo
KG Regular

I grew them last year , they are supposed to be the right size for fitting into kids packed lunch boxs , they have a slight nutty flavour but both my granddaughters did not llike them i thought they where ok all of mine this year succumbed to a late frost
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They usually grow a little bit larger than you describe, but not much. They produce lots of fruits and I used them in salads. Don't let them get too large or they won't be as crunchy and the skin thickens. They aren't sweet, more of a cucumber flavour. I made a dill pickle with some which was nice from James Wong's book.
Westi
KG Regular

Hmm! Not going to get much of a feed. :(

I got a whole lots of James Wong seeds for my birthday. These were slow to germinate but have lots of fruit on the 3 vines that did eventually pop up. I have the Callaloo on the allotment, which is just perking up after sulking but leaves still too small for a harvest but hopefully will get to pick some tomorrow for a mixed leaf salad. The black tomatoes are looking grand & are truly black unlike the last black ones I grew which were a bit green around the calyx. Looking forward to tasting them when they ripen.

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

One of our allotment neighbours has grown them and I have therefore seen and tried them: his were about 4x2cm, but I can't say I was very struck by the taste.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The Callaloo is a very nice vegetable. The leaves grow quite quickly and are tender like spinach. If you take the top out it sends out lots of side shoots, also let a few go to seed. They are quite ornamental - a form of amaranth, and the seeds germinate easily so you can grow them without ever buying any more if you save them. They come up in my greenhouse on their own every year.

The Cucamelon is faster to start growing in a greenhouse, but it can take over, so make sure there is enough space.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks for the tip PP!

The callaloo were still too small to take any but I set up the drippa for them & mulched them so they may be happier!

I've got the cucumelons in the greenhouse & they are shooting off but the foliage is quite fine & on the opposite side to the melons & stuff so not interfering with anything at the moment, but can see them heading out the vent soon.

I tasted a few that had the stripe apparent even though small were quite nice. More cucumber than melon in taste though.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic