My Harvest today!

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

To me it still seems quite early in the season even though it is the 1st June tomorrow. (Probably the cooler temp & drizzle makes it feel like that). However I had to reflect on that with the amount I harvested today!

Some first new spuds grubbed from the biggest plants, broad beans, some onions that had too thick a flower sprout to keep in, asparagus, a spring cabbage, a red Pak Choi, 3 different loose leaf lettuces, some cut & come leaves, some spinach, radishes & lots of herbs. All outdoors.

Got to love the allotment (if not the weeds)! What's everyone else harvesting?

Westi
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

We took home some small new potatoes, yet more rhubarb, some lettuce and a handful of not quite ripe strawberries. If left to ripen, the slugs get them first :(
Monika
KG Regular

You are obviously in warmer climes, Westi and retropants - just rhubarb here so far, parsley and chives. The broad beans and peas are struggling in the cool temperatures (max. today 11C, min 4C), not pleasant.
But all the onions and relatives (shallots, garlic and leeks) seem to be enjoying the weather and it won't be long before we can use the first overwintering onions.
Geoff
KG Regular

Only rhubarb outside so far. I've noticed the Japanese Onions seem to be marching on despite the weather must be day length controlled, but we are still using stored Onions.
Lots in the tunnel; lots of salad leaves plus Radish and Spring Onions, Turnips, Kohl Rabi, Coriander, Chard, Spinach, Courgettes, Potatoes, Beetroot (ready but not used yet), Mangetout Peas (too many!) and Strawberries. Cobra beans are flowering in p/t. Cauliflowers and Calabrese forming in the cold greenhouse. Cucumbers in the heated greenhouse but heating turned off on Friday.
Planted some Lettuce outside this afternoon and it hailed this evening so guess they won't be very happy. No Carrots survived the slugs from the first two sowings so re-sowed yesterday.
robo
KG Regular

We have managed cauliflowers, cabbage, leeks , radish, rhubarb, chives, i could have had some spinich but struggling to eat it all and not into freezing fresh veg, we have some great looking cabbages which will be ready for harvesting in 2 to 3 weeks but we are away next week untill the beginning of july bad planning on my part again
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic