calcots

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

Hi all, over here in spain they have a vegatable called calcots for all intense and purpose they are a miniture leek but grown in a similar way to shallots, they taste lovely just like leeks but slightly stronger you normally buy them in bags of 25 ,i was thinking of bringing seeds back when we return next week and giving them a go has anyone tried to grow them or is our climate to wet and cold , they are normally around 3/8 to 1/2 an inch in diameter and about 12 inches long
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Robo

A new one on me!

I suspect they are a cultivar of Allium cepa, the usual onion including spring onions ans bulbing onions, so they should grow here.
A bit of research suggests that what makes calçots a speciality in Catalunya is the method of cultivation. Have a read of this

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/seasona ... alcots.htm

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

Cheers alan, the flaming hot barbie is no problem but im not climbing on to the roof to eat my tea off the tiles
they are nice more like leaks than onions ive just bought 5 packets of seeds if anyone fancies having a go at growing them i am willing to post them a packet when im home next week
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

They are normal onions grown in a special way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calçot
The seed you have bought may be no different from most other standard onion varieties, but I guess there's only one way to find out. Me, I don't see they're much different from Welsh Onion / Japanese Bunching Onion (Allium fistulosum) which don't require all that bothersome earthing up business.
Allotment, but little achieved.
robo
KG Regular

An onion is an onion but these have an exceptional tast similar to Lee's but a stronger taste I bought 5 packets of seeds ,the offer still stands we are back Wednesday evening if anyone is interested I will post them a packet no cost to anybody
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic