Pressrving beetroot

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve just pulled up up a batch of beetroot and was wondering if there was any other way of preserving it in jars rather than sweet pickling, so that I could use it as an occasional cooked vegetable. I suppose the only other way is to cook and freeze it but just thought somebkdy may have come across some other way like preserving it like in in brine which was successful . Am always willing to experiment.
Beryl
KG Regular

I can't help you there Primrose but I have tried freezing and my attempts were not worth the bother. I found it came out all rubbery. It will store quite well at least until after Christmas/January in a dry shed perhaps in some dry straw. Better than throwing it away.

Beryl.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

They used to be 'clamped' like other root veg in Victorian times so the suggestion of storing in straw would be worth a go. I have some lined up on the window sill in a cool store but don't envisage having them there more than a month or so. A box of dry sand may also work, involves the cost of buying the sand but once you've got it you should be able to use again and again.

MW
Beryl
KG Regular

Primrose a way of using some of your beetroot. A recipe in todays You Mag. with MonS. sounds absolute heaven. I am sure it would freeze well to. this will be a must for me to try.

Beryl.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/you/ ... adish.html
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I leave them in the garden until I want to use them. Put plenty of slug pellets down and cover them with a bit of straw.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I do pull mine up by the end of October as it's the woodlice I have problems with.

MW
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

We've a resident wren that finds woodlice very tasty so they aren't much of a problem MW, they are more of a pest in the greenhouse.
Chantal
KG Regular

I roast or boil our beetroot, skin it and freeze individually then bag. Never had a problem with it being rubbery, tastes great either hot or cold :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Every year I put beetroot into a lidded plastic drum (an old brewing one, to be precise), with either dry spent compost from the greenhouse, or dry vermiculite. Twist the tops off the beets first, but no other preparation. Stored like this in a cool dark garage, they will be edible until the following spring.
Beryl
KG Regular

I must be doing something wrong Chantel. I will have another go next year.
Do you use the young beets or last of the crop?

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

Has anybody tried preserving them in brine rather than vinegar. (Like olives?).
Does this work?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic