runner beans

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

This year ive grown some runner beans for the first time in about 20 years both me and my wife have never been keen on them but I though I would give them ago as we find our tastes change as we grow older or should I say more mature, alas we still are not keen on them, but the amount of beans we have are unbelievable and as I dont like wasting food I have started to take the beans out of the pods and freeze them to be used in stews and soups over winter has anybody done this before or is it just me who is mad
alan refail
KG Regular

robo wrote:This year ive grown some runner beans for the first time in about 20 years both me and my wife have never been keen on them but I though I would give them ago as we find our tastes change as we grow older or should I say more mature, alas we still are not keen on them, but the amount of beans we have are unbelievable and as I dont like wasting food I have started to take the beans out of the pods and freeze them to be used in stews and soups over winter has anybody done this before or is it just me who is mad

Well, if you're mad, so am I :wink:

Have look at this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12306

Also search the forums for posts on borlotti.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Redfox
KG Regular

I have done this in the past. When the beans got too big I just left them, took them out of the pods and used them up in soups and stews. Last year I bottled a load and then found that they were passed their best but rather than waste them I just put them through the dicer and use them in other meals as a filler, such as bolognese, you dont even notice that they are there, which is a good thing for me as I sont like them much.
robo
KG Regular

Alan I have seen your thread thats what gave me the idea , anyway onward with the podding
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic